PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Need Installation suggestions.

tdawgf
July 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hey all,

I have a quick question and was looking for some feedback (I hope this is the right forums category). I obtained an ollllllllld pc from someone who didn't want it anymore. It is an old pentium 233 mhz, with 40 mb of ram and a wopping 4 gig HDD. It is currently running windows 95 (major nostalgia moment for me). I was wondering if there was an ubuntu derivative or maybe even some other distro I could use that would give me a functional GUI and breathe a tiny bit of life back into this old machine. Any suggestions are welcome and appriciated.

f37u5g0d
July 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Puppy. Use puppy linux. It will amaze you what that hardware can do with the right software!

howefield
July 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Don't think puppy will do it, have a look at Slitaz.

snowpine
July 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hi tdawgf, it is unlikely you'll be using that as your main Ubuntu computer any time soon, sorry. :( The lightest possible Ubuntu (text-only server install) has the following requirements:

Ubuntu Server (CLI) Installation

* 300 MHz x86 processor
* 128 MiB of system memory (RAM)
* 1 GB of disk space
* Graphics card and monitor capable of 640x480
* CD-ROM drive

On the other hand, as mentioned above, there are many Linux varieties: SliTaz ('loram' flavor), Puppy, TinyCore, DSL, DeLi, just to name a few of the lighter options. Unless you can get more than 40mb of RAM, your choices are very limited.

Here is a cool article with some ideas for that old computer: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/things-to-do-with-an-old-computer/

tdawgf
July 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I appriciate all the replies. I am not trying to use this in anyway as my own personal ubuntu machine. I have my own rig for that. It is more of a, "Hey I wonder if I can..." situation for me lol. I will try a few of the other distros to see if they will work. Thanks so much everyone, always get good help from this community. Wish me luck.