PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Linux Fest Aug 14 at ITT Tech

saphil
July 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
August 14 9am to 5pm
At the ITT Tech Campus at
485 Oak Place
Atlanta GA

This is the new building, and many attendees of previous ITT Linux Fests have not been here. Come on out.

@Nick, do you have any copies of 10.04 you could donate to the cause?

@ people who would be interested in presenting, please contact me and let me know.

As usual, free pizza and fellowship etc.

Wolf
678-687-6104
mhalton@itt-tech.edu

cllewis91592
July 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
sounds fun i might have to go. :popcorn:

boredandblogging.com
July 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
@Nick, do you have any copies of 10.04 you could donate to the cause?

Check with Aaron.

saphil
August 1st, 2010, 03:44 AM
OK, will do.

wgarider
August 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Had a great time there this morning Wolf - thanks for hosting this!

saphil
August 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks! I appreciate that. We had 3 great talks by Charles Shapiro, Steven Blevins and Ron Frazier. Lots of fun had by all.

Wolf

mdmadph
January 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I know this is late, but I wonder why this wasn't posted on the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/atlantalinuxfest?v=wall -- is this a different ATLLinuxFest?

saphil
January 19th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Different event

This is the quarterly event at ITT tech Atlanta.
next one coming up in february.

d2redneck
September 29th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I am a student at the Wichita Ks. itt campus can I get some info from you about this linux fest maybe we could have it out here as well.

saphil
September 30th, 2011, 03:56 AM
@d2Redneck
I ran it in an extremely ad hoc manner.
I tried to coordinate with the administration to make sure I held it on a Saturday when they weren't holding an orientation or an openhouse. Sometimes I failed utterly, but I was holding them quarterly. You will have an easier time if your school's Linux instructors are involved as advisors, if they are not already snowed under with work. If I had not been a full-time instructor, and totally involved, it probably would have been harder to keep it going at our school. Your mileage may vary.

1) you have to have at least one person who can do a talk every quarter and you will then have to scramble to find others who want to do a talk once in a while. I was extremely lucky that there is a linux users group with some very active members. I had myself and one other member who always got to the event and we could trade off. Then when other people came to do talks, it was just icing on the cake.

Even as a student, if you can talk about one thing, you can have something to say that the majority of the people there will not know how to do.
- how to set up a web server,
- how to write a script to do a backup using rsync,
- basically do a talk or a show-and-tell about some small aspect of the OS.
- how to burn dvds with Brasero
- you name it.

This is mostly what I would do. My friend Steve did a talk about the implications of Open Source, which had a strong effect even though he did a variant of it every quarter for 2 years. Different people attended every quarter.

The school may be able to offer lunch for your event - they like student events at ITT, generally.

Good luck with this, and let me know how you are getting on.

-Wolf