PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics card confusion

jfinner1
July 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM
So I just upgraded to lucid, and like most people, I got the black screen after grub. I tried all the grub fixes I could find, no luck. so I decided to try to boot to a previous kernel. Well, it told me the previous kernel didn't exist, and I was expecting to get the black screen for the hundredth time, when suddenly, it booted. So now I have no idea why it's working, and I afraid to turn off my computer. I thought it was a graphics card error causing all of this, but it's not giving me any proprietary drivers to install, and it's only listing my on-board driver in my terminal (lspci). I am very confused, and very frustrated. Help???

quixote
July 31st, 2010, 05:09 AM
What kind of graphics card do you have? And what computer?

When you finally had a successful boot, did you wait much longer than usual? If you waited the same amount of time for the default (recent) kernel, maybe it would boot, too? I have no idea, unfortunately, how to troubleshoot a very slow boot. However, if it does boot, even slowly, and then the graphics work, it's not the graphics driver that's the showstopper.