PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help! Disk Utility tries to spawn Nautilus instead of Thunar

EdwardR
July 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hi, I'm actually running Mint 9 XFCE RC, but it is based on Xubuntu a fix that would work in Xubuntu should work in Mint XFCE also.

I am having an issue with Disk Utility. When I use it to mount a partition, it creates a clickable link to the location, e.g. /media/yourdrive, but when I click on the link, it tries to run Nautilus to open the location and fails with the error message Error Spawning Nautilus. I don't have Nautilus installed on the machine. It is possible that when I was playing around after first installing Mint I might have installed and subsequently removed Nautilus. Is there a way to make Disk Utility call Thunar instead of Nautilus? I did not see any sort of Preferences tab where I could change settings. I have tried removing and reinstalling Disk Utility, but no luck.

thanks

Ed

EdwardR
August 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I've been told that the new version of Disk Utility has Nautilus hard coded in.

kerry_s
August 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I've been told that the new version of Disk Utility has Nautilus hard coded in.

so make a link to thunar.

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/thunar /usr/bin/nautilus

EdwardR
August 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. I assume this a command I will have to set to run each time I boot up?

EdwardR
August 13th, 2010, 02:28 AM
That worked great, thanks!

Wisp558
August 13th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. I assume this a command I will have to set to run each time I boot up?

Symlinks are quite persistent, the fix is permanent. Just as a note, you can pretend a file is another file all the time, and even whole directories! Symlinks are useful; for example, if you dual boot, you can point your Documents folder to your windows' My Documents folder and have a unified location. There are many possibilities, and the syntax is simple.

Also, since you fixed the problem, mark the topic as solved.