PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] WUBI.exe gets me a grub prompt

hbaird
July 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I got a 10.04 CDROM with the Ubuntu Linux Bible. I installed Ubuntu with Wubi.exe. After install the Grub menu offers WinXP and Ubuntu. The WinXP works as expected. The Ubuntu selection gives me a grub prompt. I removed and reinstalled with the same results. I can't tell if the install is complete or not. I am a long time Linux and Unix user currently running Fedora 13. Fedora will sometimes make problems with uncoordinated updates so I am trying Ubuntu. Not a good start. Any help?

stevedub40
July 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I am also having trouble with wubi. I installed wubi ubuntu on a second HDD that I was not using, which worked fine until I did some updates and a reboot. Now, I am presented with grub> and cannot get past it. I've read some fixes that use the root=loop0 command, but it requires you to load the kernel, and I have no clue what that is for 10.04. Here is the commands I am referring to:

sh:grub>set root=(loop0)
sh:grub>linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
sh:grub>initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
sh:grub>boot

I just don't know what the kernel is or what sd I am on. I think it's the 3rd sata drive in my setup, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I also only get grub>, and not sh:grub>.

sikander3786
July 28th, 2010, 05:09 PM
There are a few half solved threads. Did you go through these?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1521340

http://newyork.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358188

http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9552126

Might be you get something from these.

Anyway if you want to install Ubuntu on the HDD, why WUBI? Why not a clean install? You can get lots and lots of guides for dual booting from Google. And anyone here will be able to help you a lot better if you have any queries or problems for dual booting.

Regards.

bcbc
July 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I am also having trouble with wubi. I installed wubi ubuntu on a second HDD that I was not using, which worked fine until I did some updates and a reboot. Now, I am presented with grub> and cannot get past it. I've read some fixes that use the root=loop0 command, but it requires you to load the kernel, and I have no clue what that is for 10.04. Here is the commands I am referring to:

sh:grub>set root=(loop0)
sh:grub>linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
sh:grub>initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
sh:grub>boot

I just don't know what the kernel is or what sd I am on. I think it's the 3rd sata drive in my setup, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I also only get grub>, and not sh:grub>.

A recent grub update is installing grub2 to the MBR, overwriting windows. This impacts wubi users.The fix is to replace the grub2 bootloader with windows' bootloader. Or you can use lilo - boot a live CD and run

sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Change /dev/sda if necessary to the drive you boot from. "sudo fdisk -l" (small L) will tell you if you aren't sure.

bcbc
July 28th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I got a 10.04 CDROM with the Ubuntu Linux Bible. I installed Ubuntu with Wubi.exe. After install the Grub menu offers WinXP and Ubuntu. The WinXP works as expected. The Ubuntu selection gives me a grub prompt. I removed and reinstalled with the same results. I can't tell if the install is complete or not. I am a long time Linux and Unix user currently running Fedora 13. Fedora will sometimes make problems with uncoordinated updates so I am trying Ubuntu. Not a good start. Any help?

That first menu is the windows boot manager (should say so on top). It sounds like you didn't successfully install wubi. You can look in or post here the wubi.log file. To find it, go to windows explorer and enter %temp% in the address bar. (Post it in between
[/SIZE]] tags for readibility and note it has some identifying info such as user name and location...)