PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thanks... NOT

booksXYZ
July 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Just spent two hours laying out our website on Firefox.

Ubuntu update panel pops up while I'm working, I allow updates.

Firefox is updated AND HAS TO BE RESTARTED RIGHT NOW WHETHER I WANT TO OR NOT WITHOUT ANY $%tr@!@# WARNING WITHOUT ALLOWING ANY INPUT FROM ME AND WIPING OUT TWO FREAKING HOURS OF WORK.

This is the kind of junk Bill Gates pulls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

DrMelon
July 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
As far as I am aware, Firefox is not a website design suite. And should not be used as such.

dabl
July 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
while I'm working, I allow updates.

There's a bit of poor judgment .... :(

CharlesA
July 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM
It's not firefox's fault that you didn't save when working. Not the dev's fault that you decided to update when you were in the middle of working on something.

lechien73
July 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I was going to refrain from answering this, because I really think that these kind of threads should be locked or removed for violating the code of conduct.

However, it is the second of its kind that I've seen in this forum today, and I find these sort of comments to be inflammatory, disrespectful and ungrateful. I sympathise with the OP for losing work. I hate losing work, and nothing ticks me off more than when it's my fault that I've lost it. That's what has happened here. A few minutes reflection for the OP before putting finger to keyboard is all it would have taken. "Wait - *I* allowed the updates, *I* didn't save my work. Hey, it's annoying, but maybe it's not Ubuntu's or Firefox's fault after all".

Sorry to rant, but postings like this or "why do you take so long to answer my question?" are insulting to the huge community of Ubuntu volunteers, who go to great lengths to try and provide fast, efficient and, above all, free technical support.

Meizirkki
July 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

naah, just messing with you ;)

simosx
July 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Just spent two hours laying out our website on Firefox.

Ubuntu update panel pops up while I'm working, I allow updates.

Firefox is updated AND HAS TO BE RESTARTED RIGHT NOW WHETHER I WANT TO OR NOT WITHOUT ANY $%tr@!@# WARNING WITHOUT ALLOWING ANY INPUT FROM ME AND WIPING OUT TWO FREAKING HOURS OF WORK.

This is the kind of junk Bill Gates pulls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

The title reminds me of the Borat movie (the 'Not' part) so I decided to reply.

You can delay the restart of firefox when you perform the updates. You can also select to delay the restart of the system even if you upgraded the kernel.

Your Firefox may become unstable if the update refreshed important files (such as XUL files). The latest two Firefox updates for 10.04 probably did not change those XUL files, and I was able to continue surfing way past the update notification.

This shows that the UI for 'please restart your xyz' might need some usability love. Did anyone else get to restart even if they did not want to?