PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] help: how to prevent removal of older kernel versions on update

euux
July 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hi,
I need to prevent that the latest kernel update removes the only kernel that still works in my computer. how can i do this?

Currently I have 3 linux kernels versions:

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-23-generic
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-23-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.31-21-generic
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.31-21-generic (recovery mode)
But only the oldest works.
With the new update there is a new kernel version (2.6.32-24) that possibly will not boot (like previous 2.6.32-* kernels) and also I expect that, as in previous updates, the oldest kernel will become inaccessible, thus rendering my ubuntu unbootable.

Can anyone help me with this, please? :popcorn:

PS: unsolved threads on the underlaying problem:
Can't boot default kernel after upgrading from 9.xx to 10.04 lucid (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9631721)
Upgrade to 10.04 freezes on the Ubuntu screen (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9629876)

Sub101
July 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
In my experience an Update would not remove an older Kernel?

euux
July 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM
In my experience an Update would not remove an older Kernel?
honestly I would have to remember how did it go with the last kernel upgrade before 10.04 (when the list was "reseted").
But I have this idea that the list of available kernels to boot does not grow indefinitely.

thanks for the reply :)

rollin
July 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I normally just use Synaptic:

Open it up and select the "Installed" section. In the search bar type "linux-image.." you should then see a list of the images and kernels that are showing in your grub menu. Make sure you choose the right one and select "Lock" from the Package Menu.

Edit: Sorry updated the post with correct info.

euux
July 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I normally just use Synaptic:

Open it up and select the "Installed" section. In the search bar type "linux-image.." you should then see a list of the images and kernels that are showing in your grub menu. Make sure you choose the right one and select "Lock" from the Package Menu.

Edit: Sorry updated the post with correct info.

thanks, will try that!

rollin
July 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
thanks, will try that!
No problem! I think it should work but it'd be good if you can post an update or with any problems. Good luck ;)

euux
July 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
No problem! I think it should work but it'd be good if you can post an update or with any problems. Good luck ;)
I've done it and the safe kernel (old 2.6.31-21) was kept available.
On the better than nothing news, the new kernel (2.6.32-24) works better than his 2 predecessors - it's able to boot on my machine if I follow the recovery mode with failsafeX.

Thanks for the help and the time spared.
:D

rollin
July 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I've done it and the safe kernel (old 2.6.31-21) was kept available.
On the better than nothing news, the new kernel (2.6.32-24) works better than his 2 predecessors - it's able to boot on my machine if I follow the recovery mode with failsafeX.

Thanks for the help and the time spared.
:D

Awesome! :D You're welcome too and thanks for posting with the update. It's a good question so I'm sure your thread will help someone in the future.