PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu/Kubuntu on SeaScape computers

PenguinMan
April 2nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to these forums, so please bear with me. :)

Someone here mentioned to me to post information in this forum about us going to be offering Ubuntu and Kubuntu on our SeaScape computers.

I have completed my required testing of Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and I am happy to report that both run nicely on our computers. I have not included Edubuntu yet, because I would like that part where it asks for an IP address to be fixed. Ubuntu and Kubuntu both pick up an IP address automatically, so I don't understand why Edubuntu cannot do the same. Personally, that is a show stopper for me. Other than this irritating little problem, Ubuntu and Kubuntu have given me no problems with the hardware I am using.

We are expecting to issue a press release this week once we are approved as an Ubuntu Affiliate. Ubuntu sent us 150 copies of Ubuntu (32/64-bit), which was really nice of them IMHO.

Our website is located at SeaScape LLC (http://www.seascape.us/). Our e-commerce site is located at Buy SeaScape! (http://www.buyseascape.com/)

Rikostan
April 3rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Are you using the proper install method for Edubuntu?
Instead of just hitting enter at the first prompt, type workstation instead. This installs the standalone Edubuntu as opposed to the LTSP version.

Taken from the edubuntu wiki...
"workstation installs an Edubuntu standalone workstation with no LTSP or other server parts at all, if a DHCP server is around, it grabs the IP from there it mostly behaves like a normal Ubuntu install. (in fact you'd get the same if you'd install Edubuntu-desktop on top of a Ubuntu Breezy install)."

Good luck with the machines. Like you said, choices are important!

PenguinMan
April 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Are you using the proper install method for Edubuntu?
Instead of just hitting enter at the first prompt, type workstation instead. This installs the standalone Edubuntu as opposed to the LTSP version.

Good luck with the machines. Like you said, choices are important!

Thanks for the advice and I will definitely try that out tonight. Also, thanks for the kind words. :)