PDA

View Full Version : Want to run another distro for a while

slooksterpsv
July 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM
So I was looking at a few different distro's and found that there is one that AMD Sponsor - OpenSuSE.

Where I've found my old OpenSuSE Software, I'm itching to change my OS for a while just to play around with. So out of these distro's, cause I know how to get my Ubuntu up and going, no hassle very simple, which would you recommend trying next? This will become my main OS for the next while before I revert to Xubuntu
* Debian
* Gentoo
* Mandriva
* SUSE/openSUSE - leaning more towards, where I have all this opensuse stuff laying around.

smellyman
July 28th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Well I am sure you will get respnses outside your list. Let me be the first...

PCLinuxOS

pinguy
July 28th, 2010, 02:40 AM
The two I would say is Arch linux & Gentoo.
But what are you after? You can try all the Disro's in the world but they all have their primary purpose. Ubuntu is just a good all-rounder. I wouldn't say it was really good at anything but it is the most complete and user friendly Distro around and that's why it's the most popular.

slooksterpsv
July 28th, 2010, 02:43 AM
The two I would say is Arch linux & Gentoo.
But what are you after? You can try all the Disro's you like but they all have their primary purpose. Ubuntu is just a good all-rounder. I wouldn't say it was really good at anything but it is the most complete and user friendly Distro around.

More learning experience is what I'm after. I can't say I know everything about Ubuntu, but I know a lot to get me settled with running everything. I want another distro to try and figure out how to do this or do that. SuSE in a VM I just got like mpeg4 and that working.

I'll look into Gentoo and Arch - I've used slackware, but I don't like figuring out my own dependencies, just yet. So yeah I'll take a look.

ubunterooster
July 28th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Slookster, we can't honestly tell you what's good for you without knowing what you like and your skills; we can only tell you what we like

Dayofswords
July 28th, 2010, 02:49 AM
How about Fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/)?

though i think you've tried it before if you have done slackware

sandyd
July 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM
More learning experience is what I'm after. I can't say I know everything about Ubuntu, but I know a lot to get me settled with running everything. I want another distro to try and figure out how to do this or do that. SuSE in a VM I just got like mpeg4 and that working.

I'll look into Gentoo and Arch - I've used slackware, but I don't like figuring out my own dependencies, just yet. So yeah I'll take a look.
don't try gentoo if you don't have patience :).
opensuse 11.3 is a nice release.

chris200x9
July 28th, 2010, 03:20 AM
arch hurd (http://www.archhurd.org/)

slooksterpsv
July 28th, 2010, 03:27 AM
don't try gentoo if you don't have patience :).
opensuse 11.3 is a nice release.

OpenSuSE 11.3 is nice, KDE doesn't feel as cluttered like it does in Kubuntu; only problem I've had with KDE is our wireless has a WEP 64-bit key and I had to create a kde wallet key then tell it to connect 3 times before it would connect.

So far it's stable (running live cd) so yeah it's running pretty good.

EDIT: Another reason I'm considering switching distros is cause AMD does sponsor SuSE and Solaris, not sure if they do Ubuntu though.

Dustin2128
July 28th, 2010, 03:47 AM
if learning experience is what you're after, I'd recommend gentoo. Maybe use slack as an intermediate, as it's an excellent, automatic, out of the box install. The gentoo install was/is pretty painful for me, and I always considered myself pretty good with linux. Still, from what I've read and seen, you get a kernel and operating system totally customized to your hardware. Just don't spend literally 4 hours reading the guide and installing and screw up grub beyond repair!! ](*,)
EDIT: Also, corporate sponsorship does not imply the distro functions better than competing distros on the sponsor's hardware. The majority of distros will work exactly the same on the same hardware.

slooksterpsv
July 28th, 2010, 03:53 AM
if learning experience is what you're after, I'd recommend gentoo. Maybe use slack as an intermediate, as it's an excellent, automatic, out of the box install. The gentoo install was/is pretty painful for me, and I always considered myself pretty good with linux. Still, from what I've read and seen, you get a kernel and operating system totally customized to your hardware. Just don't spend literally 4 hours reading the guide and installing and screw up grub beyond repair!! ](*,)
EDIT: Also, corporate sponsorship does not imply the distro functions better than competing distros on the sponsor's hardware. The majority of distros will work exactly the same on the same hardware.

Oh I know that, I just am a proud supporter of ATI and AMD and if they endorse something well I like to use what they endorse - of course Ubuntu is the best linux out there bar none - but that doesn't mean I use Windows 7 all the time either. I'll look at Gentoo see how it fairs out.

Dustin2128
July 28th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Oh I know that, I just am a proud supporter of ATI and AMD and if they endorse something well I like to use what they endorse - of course Ubuntu is the best linux out there bar none - but that doesn't mean I use Windows 7 all the time either. I'll look at Gentoo see how it fairs out.

Recommendation: Test it out in virtualbox first. If I hadn't, I would've needed to reinstall ubuntu.
EDIT:Huh, how strange. just a couple of years ago, ATI was the enemy of linux. Not that I'd like to bring up old prejudices if they've changed their stance.

collinp
July 28th, 2010, 04:17 AM
If you're after experience, Slackware will certainly help you with that.

slooksterpsv
July 28th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I figured it out, I'm going to run OpenSuSE for a while as my main OS, then I'll revert to Xubuntu when it gets to the point where I don't like it any more lol.

Dustin2128
July 28th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I figured it out, I'm going to run OpenSuSE for a while as my main OS, then I'll revert to Xubuntu when it gets to the point where I don't like it any more lol.
you could also do what I do: keep a partition open for distro testing. I swap to other distros at least twice a month, and I've yet to find one that I really like (From what I've read though, gentoo looks like the system for me if only I could get it to install). It's free, what does it matter?

smellyman
July 28th, 2010, 05:30 AM
you could also do what I do: keep a partition open for distro testing. I swap to other distros at least twice a month, and I've yet to find one that I really like (From what I've read though, gentoo looks like the system for me if only I could get it to install). It's free, what does it matter?

I use an old laptop for that. It has multiple distros on it and is constantly changing.....

Khakilang
July 28th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I got an extra hard disk so I unplug my hard disk that store Ubuntu and plug into this extra hard disk to do some testing on some Distro. Currently I install Open Suse 11.2 dual boot with Window 7 just for testing and playing around with the OS. Open Suse is nice but I have to configure the network to use my USB wifi adapter which Ubuntu recognize it straight away and without hassle.

On my old computer I try Lubuntu, xUbuntu, Unity Linux, Slitaz, Damn Small Linux, Tiny Core Linux, Fedora 12 and Crunchbang. The only Distro I find my USB wifi adapter works are those from Ubuntu derivatives Distro. The rest I had to reconfigure to use my wifi but not all work. Fedora 12 doesn't work for me. After installation it ask something like "Localhost login:" and "Password:" and I couldn't do anything after that because I don't know the localhost login name and password. But its good to test it out first before commit to your main computer.

spydeyrch
July 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I give a +1 for openSUSE. It was the second distro that I tried. I also would suggest Sabayon (sp?). It is a pretty slick distro.

-Spydey:KS

v1ad
July 28th, 2010, 06:00 AM
going to try open suse on a virtual box. my i7 920 running @ 3.6 can handle quite a few of them.

NightwishFan
July 28th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I agree to Virtualbox, also if you want to understand Ubuntu better, install it minimally or use Debian.

pinguy
July 28th, 2010, 10:56 AM

You should really look into sabayon (http://www.sabayon.org/).

slooksterpsv
July 28th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Haha ok so I'm downloading the Xubuntu 64-bit iso right now.

OpenSuSE is great, had fun configuring sound plugins for mp3 support and what not, problem is, a lot of the packages I was going to install there aren't any RPMs for them (emulators like VBA) - don't want to compile either. Also the power management doesn't work, my computer stayed on all night instead of going to sleep and the fan has been constantly running. Ubuntu didn't have that problem.

My WiFi I have to configure my resolv.conf with the Primary DNS off the modem to even browse sites; configuration and installation of updates takes an unbearable amount of time download install download install download install other than that I'm happy with OpenSuSE, but I don't like how hot it runs. Only 4 more minutes till I can burn Xubuntu.

pinguy
July 28th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Haha ok so I'm downloading the Xubuntu 64-bit iso right now.

OpenSuSE is great, had fun configuring sound plugins for mp3 support and what not, problem is, a lot of the packages I was going to install there aren't any RPMs for them (emulators like VBA) - don't want to compile either. Also the power management doesn't work, my computer stayed on all night instead of going to sleep and the fan has been constantly running. Ubuntu didn't have that problem.

My WiFi I have to configure my resolv.conf with the Primary DNS off the modem to even browse sites; configuration and installation of updates takes an unbearable amount of time download install download install download install other than that I'm happy with OpenSuSE, but I don't like how hot it runs. Only 4 more minutes till I can burn Xubuntu.

Total unashamed promotion here but have you had a look at Pinguy OS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528174)? I could really do with any feed back people can give me so I can improve on the next release, as you are going for a Ubuntu-fork anyway.

m4tic
July 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Mandriva

KdotJ
July 28th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'd say Fedora or Arch, have a play around with different package managers

slooksterpsv
July 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Total unashamed promotion here but have you had a look at Pinguy OS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528174)? I could really do with any feed back people can give me so I can improve on the next release, as you are going for a Ubuntu-fork anyway.

Once Xubuntu is done installing I'll torrent it and try it out.