PDA

View Full Version : I installed a new firmware and screwed my netbook ubuntu

ganzonet
July 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I opened synaptic package downloader to download an atmel firmware for my wireless adapter WL382F, so i checked on that program, and i clicked on apply, ubuntu before making any changes, told me it was going to uninstall linux-firmware and two more things i dont recall their names, and it was going to install other two. After all the changes were made, i rebooted the system, so in the grub, i now have two different ubuntu firmwares to choose from, one has the two last numbers greater than the other firmware, like if it was newer, so, whatever firmware i choose, i have the same issue:

When i log into the system, everything boots up normally, but, every application i open, stays minimized, i can click on it in the task bar, but that just makes the application come in front for a split second and go back to minimized mode, that happens with EVERY application and pop up dialog, so i can't do nothing more than open applications but without being able to use them or change any setting in anything.

I'm using 10.04 ubuntu netbook edition, and i wasn't trying to update ubuntu firmware, i was just trying to install my usb wireless adapter, and when synaptic software told me it was going to uninstall linux-firmware, i didn't thought it was important. Yes, i'm that noob. And now my ubuntu OS just became unusable, it boots up great, but i can't do anything.

any help?