PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Desktop/Laptop with NLD 10 Installed?

psoleko
April 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
According to this eweek article Novell is talking to OEMs about bundling it's desktop software with new PCs.
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1940723,00.asp
I remember a while ago SuSe made a valiant effort to get itself pre-installed on certain business models of HP laptops. Ofcourse they were hard to find on the HP website and priced atleast a few hundred dollars more than there MS counterparts. My question is would you support a big push by Novell into the desktop market? I can speak for myself in saying that I would certainly buy a good laptop with NLD on it just to support the effort, even if I ultimately install Ubuntu on it. I would also encourage friends and family to purchase a Linux line of computers made by a large oem like Dell or HP. If it were as easy as selecting the OS from a menu would you go for it?
:-k

polo_step
April 2nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
If it were as easy as selecting the OS from a menu would you go for it?
:-k
No.

I've been burned on a factory Linux box before. I would have to know for sure that the thing worked 100% right and the hardware was indeed 100% fully-configured before I'd consider it. This is not a given, believe me, especially if Linux is no more than a menu option for a box with the identical hardware as the XP version! Yikes, bad plan, that.:shock:

Oh, and I'd want a price break over XP.

However...because notebooks are typically less user-upgraded in terms of hardware and peripherals, they are probably the place to start for factory Linux boxes.

Virogenesis
April 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'd consider buying a notebook but not a desktop as I build my own desktops ofcourse I'd expect to pay less for it than a windows notebook and I expect a cd and support from novell.

jc87
April 2nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
A) I would need to have several choices , since low spec machines to high , donīt forgetting the medium , and be able to choose my favorite manufacturers (AMD , not Intel , Nvidia not Ati , etc..)

B) Hardware should work without problems (even after a reinstall) , this mean the basic stuff would have to work out of the box without any problems ( screen , mobo , sound , mouse , keyboard , etc.. ) about the GPU it would have to be already properly configured.

C) A reasonable price , iīm not going to buy a machine than costs more X than it should just because they sell few of it.

MetalMusicAddict
April 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
I would buy a laptop. Like others, I build my desktops. I would like to see a difference in price if the same laptop came in a windows flavor. At least $100 less.

psoleko
April 2nd, 2006, 04:58 PM
I should have qualified what I meant by good. I most certainly hate seeing Linux on bargain basement equipment, I would love to see it on mid-range affordable systems, especially a Core Duo laptop.