PDA

View Full Version : I am bored, and I have been up for 19 hours straight...

kevin11951
July 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM
...So I wrote a faux-bill for congress...

19 hours isn't that long, but its long enough to make you think you should write a bill for congress at 17 years old...

nerdy_kid
July 27th, 2010, 02:19 PM
lol
wish it was that simple

SoFl W
July 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
If you want to write a bill you need write the bill so the outcome fills your pocket with money, and gives you and the government more control over the lives of citizens. (for their own good of course) Present the bill as if you truly care about the citizens, act as though it is helping them when it is really screwing them.

Then the bill will get passed, and you might get a road or building named after you.

nerdy_kid
July 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
If you want to write a bill you need write the bill so the outcome fills your pocket with money, and gives you and the government more control over the lives of citizens. (for their own good of course) Present the bill as if you truly care about the citizens, act as though it is helping them when it is really screwing them.

Then the bill will get passed, and you might get a road or building named after you.

:lolflag:

Linye
July 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM
When I read "and I have been up for 19 hours straight" the first thing that came to my mind was

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/ubercomments/funny/994.jpg

lol

VH-BIL
July 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM
When I read "and I have been up for 19 hours straight" the first thing that came to my mind was

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/ubercomments/funny/994.jpg

lol

1st thing that came to my mind was drugs! lol

WRDN
July 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM
First thing that came to mind was: try 5 days straight (hint - it's hard).

PS: "First thing that came to mind" should be a Community Game, if it isnt already

Legendary_Bibo
July 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I've been up for over 120 hours straight. Everytime I turn around the walls are laughing at me, and I can't lay down or sit because then the bugs will get underneath my skin. They make me itch everywhere, and I have bloody scabs all over me...

Oddly enough I'm a long time insomniac, and despite these odd psychological quirks I can still communicate as normal. I can act normally it's just that I have the symptoms of a psycho. I should spend this time up and awake to work on a new comic now Hmmmm...

chiliman
July 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM

19 hours isn't that long, but its long enough to make you think you should write a bill for congress at 17 years old...

Thats too simple, you have to make its about 3000 pages so elected officials don't want to read it. That way you can sneak in a bunch of other things. or i can refer you to that episode of the simpsons when Marge and Lisa get a bill passed.

Legendary_Bibo
July 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thats too simple, you have to make its about 3000 pages so elected officials don't want to read it. That way you can sneak in a bunch of other things. or i can refer you to that episode of the simpsons when Marge and Lisa get a bill passed.

Isn't that porksnapping or something?

Or am I thinking of some other term?

Bills are written as if they're text books for children with ADHD

Every point is written on its own line

With the use of a lot of indenting

As well as spacing

Kind of like how I wrote this post.

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Ah, so that's how the impending financial crash will begin...

Frak
July 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Violation of Intellectual Property laws. Also, watch the entire RNC call you a Communist.

SoFl W
July 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
He did get one thing correct, using the word "freedom", whenever congress uses "Fairness" or "Freedom" in a bill, it isn't about either.

Violation of Intellectual Property laws. Also, watch the entire RNC call you a Communist.
No, they just call you that when when you expect free everything for everybody because you feel you are entitled to everything for free. (as long as someone else pays for it)

Frak
July 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
No, they just call you that when when you expect free everything for everybody because you feel you are entitled to everything for free. (as long as someone else pays for it)

The RNC calls anybody a Communist that says they want to put more social defenses in place. "Oh, you want to raise taxes on the rich? Well, you must be a spy for the Soviet Union"

mamamia88
July 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM
i don't see the problem with releasing drivers under the gpl would be. if it makes more hardware compatible more people would buy the hardware.

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
It is headed up as "Hardware Drivers Freedom Act" , the irony , how is it a Freedom Act when it is restricting the drivers to one format?

Frak
July 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
It is headed up as "Hardware Drivers Freedom Act" , the irony , how is it a Freedom Act when it is restricting the drivers to one format?
Those are my thoughts exactly. When is restricting choice freedom?

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." --Henry Ford

kevin11951
July 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM

No, not ONLY open source, they can release it any way they want, but somewhere in there, they have to release an open source version...

kevin11951
July 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
i don't see the problem with releasing drivers under the gpl would be. if it makes more hardware compatible more people would buy the hardware.

Well, at least one person on my side... Thank you...

Frak
July 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I don't like the government making rediculous choices about how I should share my software. It's my software, the government can stay out.

kevin11951
July 27th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Having read over this thread again... I am astonished that this thread has not been locked yet...

mamamia88
July 27th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I don't like the government making rediculous choices about how I should share my software. It's my software, the government can stay out.

not software just drivers. nobody wants to buy a piece of hardware to find out there isn't a supported driver. i think this bill would be a good idea. and i don't see why hardware companies would be against it because they get free development on their drivers

Frak
July 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
not software just drivers. nobody wants to buy a piece of hardware to find out there isn't a supported driver. i think this bill would be a good idea. and i don't see why hardware companies would be against it because they get free development on their drivers
Because competitors could steal their methodology. If hardware manufacturers wanted this, they would have already done it.

Also Drivers are software

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
No, not ONLY open source, they can release it any way they want, but somewhere in there, they have to release an open source version...

It still forces a decision on them. Where is the Freedom. Kinda like "Taxation without representation"

It is better to encourage the release of open source drivers by engagement and cooperation than coercion .

mamamia88
July 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Because competitors could steal their methodology. If hardware manufacturers wanted this, they would have already done it.

Also Drivers are software

fine drivers are software. but software that you need to make your hardware even function should be provided for all operating systems. i would be fine with a propietary driver as long as they release a linux version

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2010, 08:30 PM
fine drivers are software. but software that you need to make your hardware even function should be provided for all operating systems. i would be fine with a propietary driver as long as they release a linux version

They release Linux versions if it is financially viable, remember these cost money.

kevin11951
July 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
They release Linux versions if it is financially viable, remember these cost money.

Well, there is no cost in releasing an open source version, just post it online next to your current drivers (plus a little license action), and your done...

mamamia88
July 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Well, there is no cost in releasing an open source version, just post it online next to your current drivers (plus a little license action), and your done...

exactly the beauty of open source people will do the development for you if they have enough motivation

Frak
July 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
There's a huge cost. Companies have to make sure that the code that's released doesn't contain intellectual property of the company. This is why the idea is bogus; unless you've been in the industry before, which you haven't, you'd see that there's a large investment and risk involved with just giving your drivers away.

RiceMonster
July 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Yes there is, because they still have to pay someone to develop them. Unless you're suggesting they release the specs, which brings us back to what Frak said: "If hardware manufacturers wanted this, they would have already done it."

kevin11951
July 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Yes there is, because they still have to pay someone to develop them. Unless you're suggesting they release the specs, which brings us back to what Frak said: "If hardware manufacturers wanted this, they would have already done it."

Look, they wrote the driver once, just take the source code from their windows driver and releases it... They dont have to rewrite it to be portable or anything, just release the code they already wrote...

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Those statements never cease to amaze me. Of course there is cost and on going liability.:rolleyes:

They are also indicative of the issues that are endemic in the Linux Sector that prevents it progressing

Frak
July 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Look, they wrote the driver once, just take the source code from their windows driver and releases it... They dont have to rewrite it to be portable or anything, just release the code they already wrote...
Ramifications considered harmful.

kevin11951
July 27th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Ramifications considered harmful.

Oh, poor them, they'll survive...

RiceMonster
July 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM

It's not that simple. Companies do not just "release source code", because they might be exposing trade secrets, or there might be code involved that they do not own the copyright.

I think the same can be said when you demand open source drivers.

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2010, 08:52 PM

That statement alone shows a lot as to your lack of understanding of the subject and your belief in poor quality products for Linux.

uRock
August 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM

19 hours is nothing. Join the Army and see what happens when you have only had 19 hours of sleep in one week.

pookiebear
August 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM
19 hours is nothing. Join the Army and see what happens when you have only had 19 hours of sleep in one week.

That statement...can explain a lot.