PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Right-click menu

Kognit
July 27th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to create a right click menu like that on fluxbox, openbox,...
I am using GNOME. I know how to create entries in nautilus action but i don't know how to create "applications", "places", "system" entries.

urukrama
July 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
This gets asked a lot, and the simple answer is that you won't be able to do so unless you use a different window manager than Metacity.

You could use Openbox (or Fluxbox) within Gnome. If you install Openbox, you can select a Gnome/Openbox session at the login manager. I believe Compiz also has (or at least had) a desktop menu plugin, but have never seen anyone actually using it.

You can edit your Nautilus menu, as you mentioned, but it does not come close to an Openbox or Fluxbox menu.

You could also use XFCE, which has a right click desktop menu. I don't know how much you like Gnome and wish to stay with it, but if you are not particularly attached to it, XFCE might be a worthy alternative.

urukrama
July 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM
In addition to what I just wrote: this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5136862&postcount=9) contains links to threads discussing the same thing. Some of these offer other solutions.

This thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1419972) too offers some solutions.

BenWuan
July 27th, 2010, 11:03 PM
urukrama-
Thankyou, i have been looking for this info too

Kognit
July 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for replies and proposed solutions. I was more wondering if i could create entries (applications, places, system) and sub-entries (gedit, synaptic,...) via Nautilus Action.

urukrama
July 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks for replies and proposed solutions. I was more wondering if i could create entries (applications, places, system) and sub-entries (gedit, synaptic,...) via Nautilus Action.

I know, and some of the threads I linked to discuss how feasible that is.

Kognit
July 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
You mean the link when you need scripting? From that link i just can't figure it out how to make menus and submenus and nothing specifies about nautilus actions. Maybe i overlooked something?

The link, when it goes about shortcuts and menus is interesting and usable. I think i will use it but this one is related to compiz.

Nevermind. Thanks for your help.