PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Vim Keys - Window Management.

m.e.danko
July 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hello all, I wonder if whether anyone can help me?

I use vim as my text editor of choice and because I have come to love and adore the vim home row movement keys (for you whom don't know what that means its H for left, J for down, K for up, and L for right) and I try to use this combinations as arrow keys in any application I can, for example, I use Vimium in Chromium and I also browse a lot of PDF's and Evince the default PDF reader in Ubuntu, the programmers of that were obviously vim users and kindly provided said keys for navigation.

I came up with a brain wave about a year ago and decided to use these key combinations as window management as I love GNOME and got fed up of using a tiling window manager. I settled on using the Compiz grid extension so I could place windows to the left of the screen with meta (aka Windows Key) + H, to the right with meta + L and so on, etc... It worked great great in my previous installation of Ubuntu, but I had a lot of problems with resuming and logging back in with that installation so I decided to do a reinstall.

Now one particular window management key combination I thought would be cool to prevent me from leaving the home row was meta + i to toggle window maximization and it's above K and it worked like a charm in my previous installnation but for the life of me can't get it working in this one, any other key + meta works but not the one I want. Meta + I and it's driving me mad as currently I have it set to ALT + I because it will not work with meta + I. I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 and my aforementioned previous installation with the problems was also Ubuntu 10.04 - the aforementioned brain waved came to me with the prior version of Ubuntu where all key combinations worked for me too.

Any advice would be welcomed to aid me in getting my productivity back again.

PS I don't know what I'm going to do when gnome 3 becomes Ubuntu's default window manager - no compiz, ahhhhh! :(

m.e.danko
July 27th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Sorry for the post, I discovered that I had accidently associated another action in 'Keyboard Shortcuts' with MOD + I
I'd accidently accociated media player skip forward a track with that key combination. One would think that if a shortcut had already been defined in 'Keyboard Shortcuts' that the application would inform you, but alas no! I think a bug report maybe? Is it really a bug though?

Still the post may come in handy or useful for someone wishing to implement something similar. Windows 7 Aero Snap feature doesn't compare!