PDA

View Full Version : Maverick About Screen

adamjkok
July 27th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hey, guys! I'm alpha testing Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat), and I found a small (okay, big) mistake. I wouldn't really call it a bug, so I'm wondering if I should file a bug report. See if you can spot it.

jrothwell97
July 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM
This bit only ever gets changed late in the development cycle, the 10.04 versioning is perfectly normal. (Early betas of Longhorn, ie Vista, came with a help page on "what's new in Windows XP?")

NightwishFan
July 27th, 2010, 07:31 AM
They will change the documentation to 10.10 Maverick before the release, trust me. ;)

Thanks for the thought though I doubt that should be reported as a bug unless we are in release candidate stage.

adamjkok
July 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM
This bit only ever gets changed late in the development cycle, the 10.04 versioning is perfectly normal. (Early betas of Longhorn, ie Vista, came with a help page on "what's new in Windows XP?")
The difference is that Vista was one of the most epic fails in the history of computers. If I didn't care about the sticky residue and stuff, I would have removed the Vista sticker on the inside of my laptop. I have Windows 7 installed (dual-boot), but only for a few Windows-only apps that I can't trust to WINE.

Back on topic, thanks for the info. I was pretty shocked to see that. I popped it open just to check the version number and maybe take a screenshot to prove that I have Maverick, and it said Lucid!

NightwishFan
July 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Nope, its nothing serious, its just documentation. Check under System -> Administration -> System Monitor, and it should say Maverick.

If you are interested in reporting bugs in Maverick, have a look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Thanks for the heads up. :)

wmcbrine
July 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM
If I didn't care about the sticky residue and stuff, I would have removed the Vista sticker on the inside of my laptop.There are things you can use to safely remove the residue. I use something called "Goo Gone". Put a tiny amount of it onto a tissue, and rub the area.

I say "safely" -- the stuff is pretty strong, but it won't damage the plastic. Best to keep it off your fingers, though. It won't eat them, but they'll smell like an orange for hours.