PDA

View Full Version : What's DRM? O.o I think I have the definition wrong.

TheNerdAL
July 27th, 2010, 02:51 AM
So I think DRM is when companies don't let you get free music or something like that? Can anyone explain please? Thanks.

flick
July 27th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Decent overview at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

chris200x9
July 27th, 2010, 02:52 AM
no see old itunes, it had DRM which did not allow you to play the music without itunes or without having it on an ipod.

ubuntu27
July 27th, 2010, 02:59 AM
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management (which many of us Linux and Software Libre users call it Digital Restriction Management) is a technology that imposes restriction on the way you handle "your" files.

For example, if you buy a mp3 "infected" with DRM, then you won't be able to copy it, transfer to another device, etc.

For more info on DRM and how it can have a great impact on our lives, visit:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

YuiDaoren
July 27th, 2010, 03:01 AM
After you read the link Flick gave you, this summary should help:

DRM is when a company treats their paying customers like they are criminals.

TheNerdAL
July 27th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Oh so DRM restricts people from using their things?

robotman5
July 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM
yes and DRM is sometimes used on Video Games (from what i've read)

SunnyRabbiera
July 27th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Oh so DRM restricts people from using their things?

Pretty much, its a BS technology.

TheNerdAL
July 27th, 2010, 03:15 AM
That's lame! I think if we buy anything like video games we can like do anything we want with it. /:<

Well thanks!

Shakz
July 27th, 2010, 03:22 AM
So I think DRM is when companies don't let you get free music or something like that? Can anyone explain please? Thanks.

DRM is the reason I still have to duel boot on my netbook.

So I can watch netflix streaming.

Its also the reason I have to say to those asking about linux that it does everything you would need from windows cept netflix streaming.

Can you tell I am a bit miffed?

Chronon
July 27th, 2010, 03:23 AM
The name Digital Rights Management seems like clever marketing to me. I prefer to call DRM by Digital Restrictions Management. It does not provide you with rights. It places (unreasonable) restrictions on media that you have bought.

Macskeeball
July 27th, 2010, 03:34 AM
DRM is also on commercial DVDs and BluRay discs, along with audiobooks and eBooks. The people who do the honest thing and pay for their content get the crippled stuff, while those who pirate get the unrestricted version. It also creates vendor lock in.

I could see it being maybe ok for short-term content like rentals, music subscription services (as a way to discover new music to buy in a DRM-free version), videos that would only be watched once, some kind of eBook equivalent of public libraries, etc. Just as long as it stayed out of my way. For content that I intend to own long term, I refuse to purchase it with DRM (although DVD DRM is easily broken).

By the way, most online music download stores dropped DRM from their music some time ago.

NightwishFan
July 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Do not confuse DRM with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Manager

They are not related.

earthpigg
July 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Please stop referring to it by it's marketing name, Digital "Rights" Management.

Things that prevent you from doing something are Restrictions, not Rights.

mickie.kext
July 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM
To put it simply, Digital Restriction Management is when some company sell you something but they want to continue owning it.

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2010, 06:44 AM
DRM simply put is a poorly implemented attempt to comply with legal requirements.

zekopeko
July 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
To put it simply, Digital Restriction Management is when some company sell you something but they want to continue owning it.

They do continue owning it. Most software today is licensed so only a subset of owners rights is transfered to the licencee.

DRM simply put is a poorly implemented attempt to comply with legal requirements.

This. I think DRM is fine for streaming media solutions but anything beyond that is overly restricting the users rights.

Swagman
July 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
DRM is also on commercial DVDs and BluRay discs, along with audiobooks and eBooks. The people who do the honest thing and pay for their content get the crippled stuff, while those who pirate get the unrestricted version. It also creates vendor lock in.

I could see it being maybe ok for short-term content like rentals, music subscription services (as a way to discover new music to buy in a DRM-free version), videos that would only be watched once, some kind of eBook equivalent of public libraries, etc. Just as long as it stayed out of my way. For content that I intend to own long term, I refuse to purchase it with DRM (although DVD DRM is easily broken).

By the way, most online music download stores dropped DRM from their music some time ago.

Indeed you are free to copy those Mp3's but have you looked at the tags ?
There is a serial No. on them.

Ok so you can edit that out if you desire. I did to the first download I bought but then thought "Why Bother". I aint gonna give it to anyone else so let the tag live.

Grenage
July 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM

It's a bunch of restrictions on a format, that people agree to when they purchase. The fact that it's so prevalent should be indicative of how much most people really care.