PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob problem- having serious problems with ubuntu

wcdrotar
July 27th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Hey I recently switched over to Ubuntu from Windows and I love it all in theory. I just have some serious bugs to work out. I'm almost wondering if I'd rather have to worry about Windows viruses over all these bugs- at least my viruses were minor and I never saw them. Then again I am a noob so hopefully it can be sorted out, with a little patience and practice. Here are the problems, please see if you can take a swing at something:

1. The biggest problem is that it freezes sometimes... when this happens I can't do anything for about five minutes, including not even being able to restart or shut down ubuntu. My suspicion is that it isn't actually freezing, but I'm not being shown any windows or pop up menus, which is why shutting down only works by Ctrl-Alt-Dlt after the 60 seconds. That's a big deal, the only thing that remains constant that I can always see and interact with is the left toolbar. But once I open a window, I never see it pop up. I can however work from the terminal.

2. The top menu bar/system tray starts out loaded, but just like clockwork when I try to close Firefox, and it warns me about closing multiple tabs and I hit Cancel, immediately after Cancel the bar disappears and that's it for it. I have read about the fix with compiz, however I had it for a while, I unchecked the hide taskbar box in the CCSM, and made a startup app called /usr/biz/conf (I think that was what it was called, I got it from another thread). Still no luck.

3. I had screenlets for a while and I was wondering if that was creating a problem so I got rid of that, as well as compiz just in case that was the problem. Removing both from the Synaptic Package Manager didn't resolve it at all.

4. I have Docky and there's the terminal window from Docky always up on the desktop, and it won't let me shut it down. It usually disappears after a couple of minutes when I start doing something else. Most of the time I can't see it, but whenever I boot up or shut down the computer, it's always there so I know I haven't gotten rid of it.

I'm on an Asus EEE with Ubuntu 10.04.

These might unrelated but they all relate to graphics. What can I do to fix this?

wcdrotar
July 27th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I forgot to mention that when I click on Docky often it disappears also. If it's of any help also when I go to Appearance > Visual Effects everything is greyed out.

I did a complete restore recently so I'd prefer to avoid that route if possible.