PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install 10.04 alongside Win7 64-bit

Echoes1313
July 27th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Hello Ubuntu community,

This is my first foray into Ubuntu. I am trying to install 10.04 on my machine that has two hard drives. One is a 250gig with Windows Vista 64-bit. The other is a 1TB with Windows 7 (500gig partition), Windows Vista 32-bit (150gig partition), and ~300gig unallocated space.

I would like to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto the unallocated space. I burned a DVD with the latest iso from the Ubuntu site. I made sure to verify disc image after burning, and it is successful. When I boot from the disc, I open the installer menu and choose Select Disc for Defects. It says there are 0 errors. Then I chose Install Ubuntu, and I receive an error saying Installation Failed and it will now load into the cd boot mode. No description of the error is given.

So I go into cd mode, and choose Install Ubuntu 10.04. I go through the screens and select Use Unallocated Space (which is the 300gigs). I go through the rest of the steps and begin installation.

It fails at 15% and give an error message titled ERROR!!!. The description is: "end of file while reading No such file or directory"

I have no other Linux experience to even begin to know how to fix this error. If I choose Retry, it simply pops up again. Ignore gives me another error "Invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/sda. Hitting ignore again gives me the same error. Same for the next 3 times. Lastly, it says "No space left on device during write on /dva/sda. Then a red error box comes up saying "The creation of swap space in partition #6 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed." Another red error pops up titled "Unable to mount floopy disc" with the description: "Error mounting: mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/fd0: can't read superblock"

It appears either files or missing or something is write-protected. But, I have no idea what. I thank you for any advice you can give me, and your patience in helping a wannabe convert.

Computer specs:
Asus P5K-VM mobo
Intel E8500 3.16 Core 2 Dup processor
nVidia 9800GTX
A samsung 1TB hard drive, and a 250gig hard drive
4gigs of DDR21000 ram