PDA

View Full Version : Terminal in notification area

C.B.Leslie
July 27th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Programmer wanted for project below. I don't program well. I design things, and make them pretty. If interested, private message. Ideally, this would solve problems for people who use the terminal "on and off". Like web developers and server admins, etc.
http://www.lutrahaus.com/other/notification_terminal.png
This is just a pre-viz. I would make a proper wire-frame if/when I find an individual to help me out.

I apologize if this isn't the place for this.

jerenept
July 27th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Guake Terminal (found out about it from sabayon.)

sudo aptitude install guake

C.B.Leslie
July 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Right. Except this is in the notification area. Thank you for the input though.

Also, I don't need to be reminded of the years I wasted 'pwn'n noobs' with my rail-gun running hook-shot mod in Quake 2. :)

chriswyatt
July 27th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Hmm, interesting. Also, when the terminal's closed it could show the output as notifications, did you think about doing that?

That might be hard to program though and might not really work that well, but I just wanted to throw it into the broth.

C.B.Leslie
July 27th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Hmm, interesting. Also, when the terminal's closed it could show the output as notifications, did you think about doing that?

Plausable. From a usability standpoint, we wouldn't want the notification area to output everything, but perhaps a notification that the process you've executed is finished/errored,etc. Notifications could be useful on large batch scripts & installs. More to think about I suppose... but might be out of the scope of the first version should anybody like to help me.

Lucradia
July 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Plausable. From a usability standpoint, we wouldn't want the notification area to output everything, but perhaps a notification that the process you've executed is finished/errored,etc. Notifications could be useful on large batch scripts & installs. More to think about I suppose... but might be out of the scope of the first version should anybody like to help me.

an error usually causes the command to output "finished" status.

C.B.Leslie
July 29th, 2010, 12:27 AM
an error usually causes the command to output "finished" status.
Correct. Regardless, out of scope of first version.

TheWeakSleep
July 29th, 2010, 01:31 AM
What would be the benefits of using this as opposed to a drop down terminal like tilda or guake and an alias that notifys you when the process is finished?