PDA

View Full Version : any BEAMER software

DFreeze
April 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Hi all,

I'm not sure I post this in the right section of the forum, but here goes. I'm in a band were we use beamer presentations with the music. So the people can read what we sing, but also to give an extra dimension and create the proper 'atmosphere' for the song.

Now we plan on doing live video feeds, videoclips and such instead of just stills, and that's where ordinary presentationsoftware is lacking. Do you have any leads as to where I might look for some good open-source software for this task? Preferably for Windows (since our slide-man 's not converted (yet)), but if there's a Linux program I'd also like to hear.

So, any of you can help me out?

DFreeze
April 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM
anyone?

edit: sorry, I just posted this question yesterday so bumping isn't very appropriate already. I posted the question on another forum as well, some days ago. But since I can't remove my bump (atleast I can't figure out how), I hope you'll forgive my impatience ;)

BoyOfDestiny
April 3rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
anyone?

edit: sorry, I just posted this question yesterday so bumping isn't very appropriate already. I posted the question on another forum as well, some days ago. But since I can't remove my bump (atleast I can't figure out how), I hope you'll forgive my impatience ;)

Can you specify what BEAMER software is?

A quick google shows things relating to infrared. My guess is cars...

Showing a presentation, for that I think powerpoint. Try openoffice.org

Do you mean streaming audio or video. Then videolan is what you want.

ubuntumaneh
April 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
if you are familiar with latex, we can use the prosper class or beamer class. There are many editors for latex around. Pick the kind you prefer.

I don't know if open-office (I don't use it, though) comes with something similar to powerpoint. I believe there is. Give it a try. It may be easier.

endersshadow
April 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
OO.o has Impress...and works on Linux or Windows...

Insert>Object>Video in Impress will allow you to import video.

Microsoft's PowerPoint also does this...

DFreeze
April 4th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Yeah, you're right that its about presentations. At present, we show the lyrics of the song on a customised background image. Merely slides in the PowerPoint meaning of the word.

What we'd like to be able to do is send video to the beamer, and still be able to overlay the lyrics. So actually mix two inputs (video and text) and send the mix to the projector.

BoyOfDestiny
April 4th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Yeah, you're right that its about presentations. At present, we show the lyrics of the song on a customised background image. Merely slides in the PowerPoint meaning of the word.

What we'd like to be able to do is send video to the beamer, and still be able to overlay the lyrics. So actually mix two inputs (video and text) and send the mix to the projector.

Go for videolan.

http://www.videolan.org/

Runs on a lot of OS's, windows, linux, beos, osx, bsd, etc etc.

I've personally tried streaming audio and video (it's pretty sweet). I'm betting if you "soft sub" the video you could stream that too. Just google soft sub or fansubs, I'm sure you'll find something.

Actually, there is no wikipedia article on it, but it was mentioned in fansubs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fansub):

"There are several methods of subbing currently used. "Soft" subtitles, or soft subs, are subtitles which appear in their own window below or above the anime being viewed. They're synched to the spoken dialogue and usually are contained in a file separate from the file containing the episode. It is therefore possible to edit the file yourself, if you have a conflicting opinion on a translation, by editing this separate file."