PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After Installation Problems

HugoGTM
July 26th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hey all, Im having an issue with the installation of Ubuntu 10.04LTS, let me explain...

I tried installing with the LiveCD however wheen booting with the live CD it wont work, it will get froozen right when the desktop background is displayed, nothing will come up, no bottom or top bars, when right clicking no menu shows up, not even the NumLock light in the keyboard will turn off or on... I tried downloading and burning a new image but It wont work either... same issue... I downloaded the alternative version of 10.04.. i finally was able to install Ubuntu with the alternative CD,,, however afeter booting to the new OS, screen will boot and show the top and bottom part of the desktop however no icons or menus are displayer in neither of the bars, however this time I was able to open a menu that will show "System" and "Preferences" menu from the cursor, I thought it was the kernel or drivers, so I downloaded and installed all the updates including kernel updates, after booting with the new updates installed and using the new kernell the same issue showed up... no menus displayed... then I thought it was an issue with the proprietary drivers... so, using the same menu that I was able to open before I installed the NVIDIA proprietary drivers, the only one available... booted but same issue... no menus or icons in the bar... funny part its that I used the 10.04 version before, this version was an update from the 9.10, and it worked with no problems, however when installing from scratch it wont work... if I boot using 9.04 or 9.10 live cd it will boot and install with no problems,,, however I dont want to UPDATE from 9.10 to 10.04... any advise???

Sys Specs

Q6600 @ 3.40Ghz
8GB DDR2 @ 1066
Nvidia BFG 295GTX
Asus Maximus Formula Mother Board

HugoGTM
July 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
No one? any idea where the problem is comming from? BUMP??? :S

Rubi1200
July 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
It sounds as if this is likely a graphics issue. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a magic ''works for all'' solution at the moment. You could try searching on launchpad to see if anyone has had similar issues: https://launchpad.net/

If 9.10 works flawlessly for you, I suggest you stick with it until the issues with 10.04 are worked out (or wait for 10.10).

Unless you absolutely must have the latest and greatest, I think it is better to stick with what you know works.

StephenG
August 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
You may find your answer here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1540325&highlight=desktop+icons