PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on Acer Aspire One computer

SmallvilleGal
July 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I subscribed because I have a couple of technical questions for which I have found no answer online. First of all, I am an Apple user who ended up buying a netbook with XP installed on it. I got the Acer Aspire One zg5 refurb, because it was super cheap. Problem is, I noticed I hate the Windows experience and I would like to have something similar to Mac in this computer, and I've had some casual experience with linux before (through a live CD that a friend gave me). However, I need to keep the XP running on this thing because I need it for work.

The main use that I have this netbook for is to take up notes, do some light music/video editing (for which I have to admit XP has been strangely okayish), listen to music, browse the web, among other things. I would like to install Linux in this because it offers great tools for these functions, and I need to have those on the run.

So I thought I would try to double-boot this computer with XP and Ubuntu, but I am sort of a beginner on this aspect. My questions are what follows:

If I use the GParted that comes with the Ubuntu 10.04 installation disk, will I lose the data that I have already stored on this PC?
If my computer isn't able to give the needed resolution to run Ubuntu, would it still run OK in the netbook?
Will my computer run OK if I make it double-boot? Would it be too much of a hassle for its Atom processor to do this?
I would like to install some of the apps that come with the Ubuntu Studio version if I can make the system double-boot. Is this possible?
Can I customize the desktop version of ubuntu to give me some other color for the taskbar instead of the blackish gray that is set by default?

To help answer some questions, here I have some more info about my netbook.

Processor

Processor make: Intel
CPU family: Atom
CPU model: N270
Processor speed: 1.6 GHz
Number of cores: Single-core

Video

Graphics adapter: Integrated
Graphics (integrated): Intel (GMA)
GPU model: 950
Memory type: Unified
Video outputs: VGA

Memory details

RAM bus / speed: DDR2
RAM slots: 1 slots (total)
1 slots (occupied)
Maximum RAM: 1.5 GB (system)

Memory and storage (basic)

System RAM: 1 GB
Hard drive(s): 120 GB (total)
Platter

Display

Screen size: 8.9 inches
Screen resolution: Other (1024 x 600)
Aspect ratio: Other

Thank you for any help you can offer! It will be greatly appreciated

dv3500ea
July 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM
If I use the GParted that comes with the Ubuntu 10.04 installation disk, will I lose the data that I have already stored on this PC?

You shouldn't do, if you know what you are doing. Make sure you don't format the Windows partition.

If my computer isn't able to give the needed resolution to run Ubuntu, would it still run OK in the netbook?

1024x600 will work fine on Ubuntu, though you may want to consider using the netbook remix.

Will my computer run OK if I make it double-boot? Would it be too much of a hassle for its Atom processor to do this?

Yes, the computer only loads one operating system at a time. Disk space would be more of a concern but 120GB should be plenty.

I would like to install some of the apps that come with the Ubuntu Studio version if I can make the system double-boot. Is this possible?

Yes.

Can I customize the desktop version of ubuntu to give me some other color for the taskbar instead of the blackish gray that is set by default?

Yes, there are many themes you can install and you can edit the panel specifically with a right click.