PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Ubuntu competition

tuxcrusader
July 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I'm not exactly an Ubuntu noob. I've been using it for the past year or so. However, I've used it on day to day basis, and never tried to go beyond the various levels of abstraction.
I am one of the few Ubuntu(Linux, in general) users of my college. The rest are still stuck up with some Microsoft crap.
Now the problem is that our college's annual technical fest is round the corner and they've assigned me the task to organize any event related to Linux.

I am totally enthralled by Ubuntu and all its features, but i hope you understand that my technical knowledge is insufficient on this subject. Plus, they've specifically said that the event should contain both theoretical and practical part.
I can handle the theoretical bit, i can frame and ask them a set of questions on Ubuntu.
But the big worry is the practical part.

What am i supposed to ask them to do?
I know it should sound something like "shell scripting" and stuff, but the very thought of using the terminal for commands other than copy and paste, sends shivers down my spine.

Please help,
I'm running short of ideas and more importantly, i'm running short of time :(:(

Truemedia
July 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe you could do tasks that are ordinary on windows and show the ubuntu equivalent. You don't have to necessarily show terminal coding.

Stuff like:
- booting livecd on windows pc
- Editing menus
- Themes and schemes
- Software installation and equivalent free software
- What comes with ubuntu
- Compare the good and points that it is had against windows and mac
- Maybe some WINE stuff for software people are familiar with
- and cloud storage/access like ubuntu 1 and VPN

muteXe
July 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Did you volunteer yourself for this?

You could talk about security, and how the unix/linux architecture is inherently more secure than a windows OS. Stuff like that. su/sudo, etc etc. Maybe a brief description of the file structure, although that sounds pretty dull.

As truemedia said, you dont have to do a terminal coding demo. How about telling everyone how much adobe photoshop is, and then using synaptic to download GIMP, and then show your audience how you can use that to pretty much create a lot of the stuff photoshop does, but for free.

mute

tenach
July 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I agree with Truemedia.

There is a lot of "practical" that can be shown without having to show the terminal. One of the things that I have done throughout my helping people move from Windows to Ubuntu/Linux, is show them that it is easy to use. Generally the terminal stuff, as I am sure you know, tends to make people shy away, as it looks very complicated.

Elfy
July 26th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Not a support request - moved to cafe.

tuxcrusader
July 26th, 2010, 05:23 PM
A warm thanks to all. :)

That was indeed very helpful.

Is there any way that i can modify whatever advice you gave into some sort of contest?
because at the end of the day, it is meant to be a competition.

Once again thank you very much for your replies!!:o

kmrs75
July 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
why dont you get a hold of your local LoCo and i bet someone there can really help out