PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Ice

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Linux: While the main idea behind Chrome OS is pretty cool, you may not want to limit yourself to only webapps. Peppermint Ice is a Linux distribution that is based on webapp usage, but allows the installation of native apps.http://goo.gl/vYCI

Interesting because isn't this the direction that Chrome OS from Google is already taking with NaCl?,

Native Client, or NaCl for short, is an ambitious Google project that, if successful, will help close one gap that separates Web applications from those that run natively on a computer's operating system. That would improve the competitive position of Web applications such as Google Docs compared to Microsoft Office--and thereby boost Google's Chrome OS project in comparison with Windows.http://goo.gl/bs0E

Native Client is an open-source technology for running native code in web applications, with the goal of maintaining the browser neutrality, OS portability, and safety that people expect from web apps. We've released this project at an early stage to get feedback from the open-source community. We believe that Native Client technology will help web developers to create richer and more dynamic browser-based applications.http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

Welcome to this early preview of the Native Client SDK. With the SDK and a Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux computer, you'll be able to build web apps that seamlessly use native C/C++ code to perform high-performance computation, render 2D/3D graphics, play audio, and respond to mouse and keyboard events — all without requiring users to install a plugin. Until Native Client is on by default in Google Chrome, you can run web apps that use Native Client by launching a recent version of Chromium with the --enable-nacl flag.http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient-sdk/

Just curious if anyone here has tried Peppermint Ice and what your thoughts are on it?

What are your thoughts of Google implementing Native Clients with Google Chrome?

HappinessNow
July 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
downloaded and burned the CD, going to try it out tomorrow. ;)

Plumtreed
July 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I like Peppermint Ice because of its speed and practicality. I use it for business and connect directly to web services such as a Web based accounting site, Google Docs and, of course, Gmail .

I tried 'Chrome OS Flow' but I couldn't see any real advantage.

Having an almost complete,'full' operating system, as in Peppermint, is a big plus when you need it. You can easily add more to Peppermint Ice but that could affect the pace.

I have Peppermint Ice on a 4GB USB drive for portability but, to be honest, I can access all my Web based services from any available PC.

HappinessNow
July 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I like Peppermint Ice because of its speed and practicality. I use it for business and connect directly to web services such as a Web based accounting site, Google Docs and, of course, Gmail .

I tried 'Chrome OS Flow' but I couldn't see any real advantage.

Having an almost complete,'full' operating system, as in Peppermint, is a big plus when you need it. You can easily add more to Peppermint Ice but that could affect the pace.

I have Peppermint Ice on a 4GB USB drive for portability but, to be honest, I can access all my Web based services from any available PC.

I am giving the live version of Peppermint Ice a try now and it is very fast indeed, I will try out Hulu and other websites and see how they work but right now I am thinking I am going to install Peppermint Ice on my computer.

I like that Chromium is the primary default web browser, I also like all the short cuts to Hulu, Google Docs, Gmail, youtube, etc, etc.

I have a few questions:

What WM is this that Peppermint Ice is using?

What version of Ubuntu/Mint is this based on?

Also the desktop clock is not displaying the correct time, will this be fixed upon install?

Hulu and Pandora One work flawlessly and pixlr works better then GIMP.

EDIT: answer to my first question, Peppermint Ice uses the Gnome WM, answer to the third question, upon installation you can select the proper time zone. Still not sure about the second question.