PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] getting rid of Windows XP without confusing GRUB

andi99
July 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hi everybody,

I made the change to linux some month ago and now I finally want to get rid of my old Windows XP installation. I know how to remove/change/... partitions with GParted and the like, but I have one problem:

The Windows partition is the first primary partition on the disk. If I remove it and resize the second partition (with Ubuntu in it) to fill the space, won't the patition labels be renumbered (what was 1 becomes 0 and so on)? Will GRUB recognize the change "automagically" (I read somewhere that newer versions of GRUB create the boot menu entreis automatically...)? Or do I have to change the configuration of GRUB or mtab/fstab/something else manually?

I don't want to blow my working Ubuntu installation, that's why I aks first! ;) Some googeling unfortunately didn't provide answers. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 x64. I haven't the exact partition layout here with me but I can find out and post it this evening if it matters.

Thanks for any advice!!
Andi

Lucifer The Dark
July 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Once you've removed the Windows Partition running the command "sudo update-grub" in Terminal will sort out Grub & remove the Windows entry from the list.

andi99
July 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hey, that's easy! :p Thanks a lot! I Think I will try this soon!

mikewhatever
July 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM
The Ubuntu partition might change its number, and if that happens, reinstalling Grub from live cd is the solution.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202