PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] my gnome panel doesn't work

el.norman
July 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM
hello everyone

This is kinda complex to explain but the only panel that I have doesn't work. When I right click it it only presents me the "help" and about panel" options and when I right click and object except a program in the navigator it only presents me "help."

My question is, is there a way to create a new panel by terminal or a command without right clicking the actual panel, or a setup in gconf-editor to fix my panel?

AceRoom
July 26th, 2010, 06:19 AM
You can reset the gnome-panel back to default.

Log out and execute this from a virtual terminal. This will reset GNOME itself back to default.

rm .gconf* .gnome2* -rf

Then you can change the config back to what you want.

kerry_s
July 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM
You can reset the gnome-panel back to default.

Log out and execute this from a virtual terminal. This will reset GNOME itself back to default.

rm .gconf* .gnome2* -rf

Then you can change the config back to what you want.

don't do this, it's bad & will reset a lot of other things.

press-> alt+f2
type-> nautilus
press-> ctrl+h
go in to-> .gconf-> apps
there delete the "panel" folder

AceRoom
July 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM
That's why I've clearly mentioned that it will reset GNOME itself to default. Anyway, do as kerry suggested.

mcduck
July 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
hello everyone

This is kinda complex to explain but the only panel that I have doesn't work. When I right click it it only presents me the "help" and about panel" options and when I right click and object except a program in the navigator it only presents me "help."

My question is, is there a way to create a new panel by terminal or a command without right clicking the actual panel, or a setup in gconf-editor to fix my panel?

That sounds like you have enabled the locked down panel option in gconf.

To unlock the panel just open the gconf-editor, browse to apps/panel/global/ and turn off the "locked_down"-option.

el.norman
July 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM
That sounds like you have enabled the locked down panel option in gconf.

To unlock the panel just open the gconf-editor, browse to apps/panel/global/ and turn off the "locked_down"-option.

Thanks this solved my problem, all this was do by me changing the configurations when i was changing other conf and accidentally checked this one

thanks