PDA

View Full Version : Zim-wiki - Tomboy Notes arrgh

aureate
July 26th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Okay, so I have a problem.

I love a lot about both of these apps. But what I want is something of a combination of them. For example, I love that Tomboy automatically turns text to a link if a note with that string already exists. That is invaluable to me. And I like that it integrates well with Gnome Do. But have multiple windows all over the place drives me bat$#1t insane.

On the other hand, Zim seems very configurable and for the most part does exactly what I want it to. I especially like the one window bit. However, I would like to have multiple pages/notes open at once. Maybe with a tabbed structure. And it doesn't automatically link. Which makes me not want to use that.

Is there anything out there that actually does what I want?

Personal wiki, one window, tabbed notes, autolinking.

sharm
July 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM
We plan to add a single-window mode to Tomboy, but I don't have a specific timeframe for when that might happen. Patches welcome, of course.

I'm not aware of a note-taking tool that meets your criteria right now, but maybe somebody else is?

K.Mandla
July 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Personal wiki, one window, tabbed notes, autolinking.
vimwiki?

http://code.google.com/p/vimwiki/

aureate
November 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks. I'll give vimwiki a try. I used to use vim in college, but dropped off when I stopped programming. I can't tell from descriptions whether it has the features I want, but if it works at least I know that it will work everywhere. I wish I was a more adept programmer, I would just hack at zim or tomboy to give it the features that I want. Both are so close, yet so very far from being good for my use case.