PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS upgrade

Bernie Gallagher
July 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hi! I'm a relative newcomer to Linux. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 a few weeks ago and am still learning how to use it and navigate the filesystem. Update Manager wants me to upgrade to 10.04. Will I have a whole new learning curve if I install the upgrade? Will all the fixes I've applied to 9.10 to get my printer and videos to work be wiped out and have to do that all over again?

Jazzy_Jeff
July 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hi! I'm a relative newcomer to Linux. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 a few weeks ago and am still learning how to use it and navigate the filesystem. Update Manager wants me to upgrade to 10.04. Will I have a whole new learning curve if I install the upgrade? Will all the fixes I've applied to 9.10 to get my printer and videos to work be wiped out and have to do that all over again?

If you do the upgrade you could have issues. I would recommend backing up your important files and doing a clean install if you are going to move up to the newest version. There shouldn't be anything new to learn with the newer version. You could download the newest version and burn it to disk and then try out the live cd. Or you could install virtual box and run it inside there to see if everything works.

Bernie Gallagher
July 25th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't have any files that I need saved. I learned from my ******* days to keep all my own files, documents, videos, photos, music, game saves, etc. on external drives and use the internal drive only for the OS. So I can't lose any data. I'm mainly concerned with having to re-apply all the fixes I had to do with 9.10 to get it to recognize my printer, view my videos, etc. So unless there's a compelling reason to upgrade to 10.04, I think I'll stay on 9.10 for now...