PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu won't go past splash screen, screen just turns blank

shortman101n
July 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I have tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 on another computer, however the regular installer never worked. It would go to the loading screen with the ubuntu logo and the dots that would change color to show it is loading, but would never go further than that. I then used the text-based installer to install it. It said everything installed fine, but it still doesn't go past the basic ubuntu logo. I turned off the quiet option before booting, and it always gets stuck after it says "Starting AppArmor profiles", then it just sits there. Its a 2.6ghz pentium 4 with 2gb of ram. Ask any questions you need for clarification and throw out any suggestions, I'm willing to try anything.

MAFoElffen
July 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM
What is your hardware- especially the video card, mouse and monitor? (or any game controller that might be connected)

shortman101n
July 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Since there is no bootable operating system, and no info in the BIOS about the video card I looked up the specs online and it appears to be an Intel Intergrated graphics card, I assume the Intel 845 G/GL Integrated Video series. The Keyboard is a regular dell keyboard with a ps2 connection, and a HP usb mouse. Nothing wireless.

shortman101n
July 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I fixed it, all I had to do was remove the wireless pci card.

aextance
August 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I think I have something similar going on. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. My laptop works fine on its own, but I normally use it as my main work machine via a docking station. When I do that it hangs on the splash screen.

Interestingly this has happened since I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.35. I know that there are issues with Radeon graphics cards and Ubuntu. I had actually upgraded the kernel to try and get round an issue where going through the docking station into a monitor messed with the contrast, brightness and gamma, which is I think what these guys had:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux/+bug/548709

Likewise, then, the laptop screen itself was fine. Any suggestions?