PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Desktop for Laptop?

ZrPreZario
July 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM
hi! i requested a CD for my laptop... and i want to install it.My problem is: Can i use the Desktop Edition for my Laptop?

jimmers
July 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hi,
I am using Desktop 10.4 Lucid, on my Acer Aspire 5738Z, and it runs sweet as you like,
but there are stories of disasters of running Ubuntu on Laptops, so it may be cautious to do some homework first, to ensure that all the components will work with Ubuntu.

Luck

robenroute
July 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM
ZrPreZario (and jimmers),

Basically, there are two main flavours of the Ubuntu distro: Server and Desktop. The server version is ment for computer systems that offer database services, mail servers, web servers, etc. The desktop version is aimed at end users working interactively with their computer: surfing the web, typing a letter, watching a slideshow, editing photos, listening to music, watching a film, etc.

I'm not sure what jimmers means with disaster stories, but yes, some hardware is only partly supported under Linux. Personally I haven't heard of disasters, whatever they may mean...

A good idea would be to download/burn/order the live CD. It allows you to run Ubuntu without installing it. That way, you can verify whether your audio works, your touchpad is supported, wireless functions, etc.

There's also the possibility of installing Ubuntu in a Windows environment (check Wubi).

Just give it a whirl with the live CD, you won't be disappointed. And remember, there's always the ubuntuforums.org website to get help.

Enjoy your Sunday,
Rob

Krabby.Linux
July 25th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Try the Live CD or install it on your USB Stick without installing it and you will see that Ubuntu will run without any Problems. Problems with Hardware are very rare.

ZrPreZario
July 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM
so it means that i can use the Desktop Edition on my laptop?

efflandt
July 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
As mentioned, the main Ubuntu versions are Desktop, which is gui, and server, which is text consoles. There are special versions, like netbook for smaller lower resolution screen. But most modern laptops have roughly 1280x800 or better resolution that work fine with the desktop version. You can always set smaller fonts if you want to and your eyes are good, to fit more content on the screen.

In some cases there might be issues with certain hardware, but often it is just adding a driver or adjusting a boot parameter or configuration. More popular laptops are likely to have less issues or easier to find a solution. And it helps to have at least 512 MB RAM (more is better).

masque7
July 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Ubuntu Desktop is for laptop/notebook computers, too.

If you have a netbook (small laptop) you might want to consider Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

mikewhatever
July 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
so it means that i can use the Desktop Edition on my laptop?

Yes, the Desktop edition is for both desktops and laptops. There is no separate laptop edition.