PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error when installing ubuntu

c0smit0
July 25th, 2010, 04:34 AM
hello, i tried to install ubuntu from usb and i got this error "errno 5 input/output error" any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Brannyh
July 25th, 2010, 06:21 AM
If it allows you to run it live from the USB, try that and click the install icon on the desktop, If not try reinstalling Ubnuntu to the USB drive there may been an error (next time you install, mark the format drive check box(unless your using the drive for other things), if that was unchecked that may be the problem)

c0smit0
July 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I did try to install it by running it live from USB that's how I got the error, and yes I did format by checking the box, but the only way that it will boot from USB is if I press the install ubuntu to hard disk if I press run live from USB it stays stuck on the boot screen that says ubuntu with the dots at the bottom, another thing when I press install to hard drive it gives mr an error saying that the installer can't start up and it will open a desktop session, I downloaded the iso many times already and from different places and still get an error pls help thanks.....

Brannyh
July 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
The solution at this link may help, i know some USB drives(mostly the real expensive fancy ones) have a hard time installing a new operating system. But if you have upgraded the memory or an other part, take that out and try it first.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/errno-5-input-output-error-639355/

muhammad680
July 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The solution at this link may help, i know some USB drives(mostly the real expensive fancy ones) have a hard time installing a new operating system. But if you have upgraded the memory or an other part, take that out and try it first.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/errno-5-input-output-error-639355/
i need help
i installed ubuntu 10.04. i restarted my computer i ws bought to tis cmd black looking screen.
so i enterned my username and password. i dont no wa to do after that.... i turned off my computr but still mk cmd black looking screen came up. i dont no wa to do. someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!

Brannyh
July 25th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Just wait for about a minute, it should go to the five dots, if not try reinstalling.

c0smit0
July 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Thanks for ur help but I forgot to mention something else, when I try to boot from cd it stays stuck on the 5 dots screen and doesn't go further.....

Brannyh
July 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I had the exact same problem, I had to do it a different way to go into live (which im not going to go into now) but the black screen should be just part of the startup process