PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] please help a dummie out custumizing his desktop

simieon
July 25th, 2010, 03:12 AM
http://www.ubuntuthemes.org/azenis.html

i have no clue where to start this thread without seeming like a complete idiot, so lets just for the pourpuse of simplicity assume that i am.

i think the desktop im using is gnome and not kde, even though i dont know what the difference is completely i belive that ubunto uses gnome as default.

somewhere in the region of 3 hours ago, i decided to flip off micro****ed, and went ubunto. since the installer finished ive been frantically trying to install this damn theme.
somehow all the tutorials ive been able to find are either useless or completely incomprehensible to me. this is due to two reasons: 1 im looking in the wrong places. 2 im to lazy to read 200 threads thoroughly at 4 am.

so here i am, politely asking for a "desktop customization for dummies" guide. ive gotten so far as installing emerald, but cant seem to figure out how to make it do anything else than display themes, and not even the one i want. also ive made the theme work partially, all im missing is to make the icons, font, and top and buttom panel use the theme, colour scheme, window borders, etc work atm.

so pwetty pwease, im calling out to my friendly neighborhood nerd to help me out here.

you should help me because im cute
you should help me because i played anarchy online, and knew what a leet was before it became 1337
you should help me because i ask politely
you should help me because chuck norris says so
you should help me because im helpless
you should help me because i will then show all my friends how cool linux can look, so they will stop paying "the man"
you should help me because i cant help it

/wave

howefield
July 25th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Download the theme to your Desktop (anywhere will do as long as you know where it is).

Then open up System > Preferences > Appearance.

Click and drag the downloaded Azenis.tar.gz file and drop it onto the appearance window. It will automatically install itself and can then be selected from the Appearance window, you might need to press the customise button, maybe not. :)

Goolie
July 25th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I wish I could be of more help, you cute, polite, elitist, yet helpless, person!

=P

I usually just go to Preferences --> Appearance to change up some simple stuff. (I didn't know you could drag and drop themes, but there is a 'get more themes online' option.

So far, to get my friends using it, I never tell them they're using an OS different that Windows. . . they never know. Until I eventually tell them. =P

simieon
July 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
ok, so i did some horsing around, bothered to read some of the manuals, and in general behaved a little less like a cookiemonster.

did some theme stealing, and made myself a mix and match theme, seems the mistake i was making was unpacking the archive before trying to apply it xD (im making a HUUUUUUGE effort to make it look like its not windows)

but i still cant figure out how to skin my panels, so i love my new cyberpunk/cyber terrorist look on my girlfriend (read computer). but its a shame i have to hide the dull gray panels :/
any help with that?

and offtopic, anyone know if coWPAtty or aircrack ng is available for linux and where to obtain it? (your not gonna belive it, but its actually for my own router, cant remember my pass, cant reset it, and i hate cables)

if wth help i finally get a cool looking end result, i promise to post screenies.

/edit: forgot to add THANK YOU! to my post, cute polite helpless elitists allways say thanks.

oldos2er
July 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Right-click on an empty spot on your panel, Properties, Background.

aircrack-ng is in the repositories. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

simieon
July 25th, 2010, 09:11 PM
tyvm, sorry for being to stupid to look in the obvious places, but didnt exactly expect ubunto to come with password recovery software in its bundles.

and the background thing isnt that simple. the skin im trying to get to work consists of 17 png images, to do an entire reskin of the panels. ive been crunching on it for hours, but cant seem to figure it out, ive tried all the obvious stuff ofc.

oldos2er
July 26th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Without knowing what you downloaded from where, it's a bit difficult to advise you regarding skins.

Sorry if I misjudged your skill level; sometimes it's not easy to discern such things.

simieon
July 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
that is very much ok. the very first line in the very first post is a link to the skin im trying to apply.

thank you very much for your time and effort, i truly appreciate it :D