PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nvida drivers cause gnome-panel to not work

flood222
July 25th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I need some help here. I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed. Everything works fine until I enable the Nvidia drivers. When I enable the drivers and reboot the top and bottom panel stop displaying. If I issue command 'pkill gnome-panel' it all comes up and works correctly.

lspci output shows:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4400] (rev a2)

I am at a loss here as I am somewhat new to Ubuntu. Does anyone have ideas on where to start looking for the problem?

I've thought about setting up a startup script to run 'pkill gnome-panel' after I login, but that doesn't really fix the core of the problem.

flood222
July 25th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Anyone have any pointers on what log files to start looking at?

jerrykenny
July 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I wonder if theres some specific setting in your bash profile . . . try creating a new user, then login as the new user.

If its a bash config issue the new users screen will be fine, whilst yours will be still borked.

flood222
July 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work.

Same result with new user. Can log in ok, but the top and bottom panel don't load. Desktop icons don't either.

`pkill gnome-panel` brings back the top and bottom panels and desktop icons.

WTF..lol. So frustrating. I can unload the Nvidia drivers and it works except the video card performance sucks.

flood222
July 25th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Another piece to the puzzle.

When I initially enable the Nvidia driver and reboot everything works fine (at the default resolution 300x300 or something). Then I set the resolution higher and save the xorg.cfg file. Upon reboot is when the panels stop working.

randywilharm
July 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Be certain you have JOCKEY installed in Lucid, but I think it comes that way by default...

I have funny little issues with Gnome too, similar to yours but it doesn't mess up too much

And I thank you for this:

pkill gnome-panel

It works fine...

flood222
July 27th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Well I ended up just adding a script to System/Preferences/Start up Applications

sleep 15
pkill gnome-panel
pkill nautilus

Works just fine. I know it doesn't fix the underlaying cause of the issue, but it works just the same.

Ub28
July 27th, 2010, 11:25 AM
NVIDIA drivers are buggy and nobody except NVIDIA can fix them. I've reported problems about NVIDIA drivers on here, but nobody seems interested in helping.