PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making Synaptic Settings Permanent

n1ghtley
July 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have been attempting to solve an issue with my Macbook 4.1's trackpad, and I have found the following commands to be effective:

synclient FingerLow=10
synclient FingerHigh=20

The only problem is that the changes do not persist after reboot. Is there any way I can make the changes permanent?

Thanks in advance!!

n1ghtley
July 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM
bump

dcstar
July 25th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I have been attempting to solve an issue with my Macbook 4.1's trackpad, and I have found the following commands to be effective:

synclient FingerLow=10
synclient FingerHigh=20

The only problem is that the changes do not persist after reboot. Is there any way I can make the changes permanent?

Thanks in advance!!

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

v41
July 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I don't know a good way to do this, so I've posted an ugly-but-effective hack below.

First a bit of history. Once upon a time, these settings went into xorg.conf . That was superseded by appletouch.fdi, but this no longer works in Lucid! There is a file called /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf, but I'm not sure how to alter it.

So now for the ugly hack.

1) Click on Places -> Home Folder. Right-click and select "Create Folder". Name the new folder "bin" . Move into the bin folder. Right-click and select "Create Document -> Empty File". Name the new file touchpad_settings_unique . Create a second file called touchpad_settings_loop.sh .

Here is the contents of the touchpad_settings_unique file:

#!/bin/bash
# (can't get sh to work)
# Try to prevent multiple copies of touchpad_settings_loop from running
if [ `ps gaxu | /bin/grep -v grep | /bin/grep -c touchpad_settings_loop` == 0 ] ; then
$HOME/bin/touchpad_settings_loop.sh &
fi
exitHere is the contents of the touchpad_settings_loop.sh file:

#!/bin/sh
# touchpad settings:
# (can't set these in appletouch.fdi, because either gnome or metacity or compiz overrides them!)

while true; do

#
if [ `/usr/bin/synclient -l | /bin/grep -i fingerhigh | /bin/grep -c 20` -eq 0 ] ; then
synclient FingerLow=10
synclient FingerHigh=20
#Some other possible settings. Remove the # to activate the setting
#synclient MinSpeed=0.4
#synclient MaxSpeed=0.7
#synclient AccelFactor=0.1
#synclient Tapbutton2=2
#synclient Tapbutton3=3
fi

sleep 10
done2) Right-click on each of the files you have created and select Properties. Click on the Permissions tab and select "Allow executing file as program".

To test whether the script is working properly, open a terminal and then type the following:

cd bin
./touchpad_settings_unique &3) Click on "Sytem -> Preferences -> Startup Applications", then click on "Add". In the "Name" box type "touchpad settings". In the "Command" box click on "browse", and then select the file touchpad_settings_unique .

NoBugs!
July 26th, 2010, 11:08 PM
First a bit of history. Once upon a time, these settings went into xorg.conf . That was superseded by appletouch.fdi, but this no longer works in Lucid! There is a file called /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf, but I'm not sure how to alter it.

run:

sudo gedit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
then find the touchpad section and add these 3 lines to it:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "synaptics"

Option "FingerLow" "10"
Option "FingerHigh" "20"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection
Save and restart and it will work :)

v41
July 27th, 2010, 02:27 AM
run:

sudo gedit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.confthen find the touchpad section and add these 3 lines to it:

Section "InputClass"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
Driver "synaptics"

Option "FingerLow" "10"
Option "FingerHigh" "20"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSectionSave and restart and it will work :)

Nice :p I will give this a try. Is the "SHMConfig" option still necessary? Here's an extract from the synaptics man page:

Option "SHMConfig" "boolean"
Switch on/off shared memory for run-time configuration. Note that this is considered a security risk since any user can access the configuration. This option is not needed with synaptics 1.0 or later. See section Device Properties.

DEVICE PROPERTIES
Synaptics 1.0 and higher support input device properties if the driver is running on X server 1.6 or higher. On these driver versions, Option "SHMConfig" is not needed to enable run-time configuration. The synclient tool shipped with synaptics version 1.1 uses input device properties by default. Properties supported:
Synclient works fine on Lucid without SHMConfig, so I expect/hope that the same will be true for 10-synaptics.conf .

v41
July 27th, 2010, 02:37 PM
run:

sudo gedit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.confthen find the touchpad section and add these 3 lines to it:

Section "InputClass"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
Driver "synaptics"

Option "FingerLow" "10"
Option "FingerHigh" "20"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSectionSave and restart and it will work :)

OK, I tried this and it does indeed work :D No need for SHMConfig.

I tried adding,

Option "TapButton2" "2"
Option "TapButton3" "3"

but this option gets overridden somewhere :(

v41
July 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I tried adding,

Option "TapButton2" "2"
Option "TapButton3" "3"

but this option gets overridden somewhere :(

This is a known bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/563276) in the gnome-settings-daemon package. It affects synaptics touchpads. There is a ppa with a patched version of the package here (https://launchpad.net/%7Eyurivkhan/+archive/proposed/) .

strungoutfan78
August 16th, 2010, 12:24 AM
This has also worked for me, up until the login screen that is. I used this to configure TapButton1 = 1 and was successful to a point. Once I log in and KDE actually starts, the effects are overridden somehow. Any ideas?

Also I'm actually using Fedora but I don't think there is much difference between the 2 in this particular situation.

blehmeco
February 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I don't know a good way to do this, so I've posted an ugly-but-effective hack below.

So now for the ugly hack.

1) Click on Places -> Home Folder. Right-click and select "Create Folder". Name the new folder "bin" . Move into the bin folder. Right-click and select "Create Document -> Empty File". Name the new file touchpad_settings_unique . Create a second file called touchpad_settings_loop.sh .

Here is the contents of the touchpad_settings_unique file:

#!/bin/bash
# (can't get sh to work)
# Try to prevent multiple copies of touchpad_settings_loop from running
if [ `ps gaxu | /bin/grep -v grep | /bin/grep -c touchpad_settings_loop` == 0 ] ; then
$HOME/bin/touchpad_settings_loop.sh &
fi
exitHere is the contents of the touchpad_settings_loop.sh file:

#!/bin/sh
# touchpad settings:
# (can't set these in appletouch.fdi, because either gnome or metacity or compiz overrides them!)

while true; do

#
if [ `/usr/bin/synclient -l | /bin/grep -i fingerhigh | /bin/grep -c 20` -eq 0 ] ; then
synclient FingerLow=10
synclient FingerHigh=20
#Some other possible settings. Remove the # to activate the setting
#synclient MinSpeed=0.4
#synclient MaxSpeed=0.7
#synclient AccelFactor=0.1
#synclient Tapbutton2=2
#synclient Tapbutton3=3
fi

sleep 10
done2) Right-click on each of the files you have created and select Properties. Click on the Permissions tab and select "Allow executing file as program".

To test whether the script is working properly, open a terminal and then type the following:

cd bin
./touchpad_settings_unique &3) Click on "Sytem -> Preferences -> Startup Applications", then click on "Add". In the "Name" box type "touchpad settings". In the "Command" box click on "browse", and then select the file touchpad_settings_unique .

Thank you for this v41!
It surely ain't pretty, but who cares? It did the trick for me!
And I had been looking for this for quite a while now!

Cheers mate!

EDIT:

I've just remembered, that this could work for you guys too (it works for me) and it's not that complicated actually!

I just added these lines to a script I have in startup applications (hi: ntthe trick is in the sleep line, obviously):

sleep 5
synclient RTCornerButton=8 RBCornerButton=10 LTCornerButton=11 LBCornerButton=12 FastTaps=1Hope it helps someone else!

Cheers!