PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot successful, but ubuntu ceases to work after booting into windows.

kirk ammon
July 24th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I have an HP pavilion dv6t laptop on which i dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu. the dual boot seemed to work fine, but if i am using ubuntu, restart and boot into windows, then restart again and choose ubuntu from GRUB, it won't load. ubuntu worked great, but after booting into windows ubuntu ceases to work.

after switching out of windows GRUB lists ubuntu like normal, if i select ubuntu, the screen goes blank and does nothing. if i choose recovery mode i get all the kernel messages on the screen for awhile and then the screen goes blank and still does nothing. if i press ctrl-alt-del on the blank screen, the ubuntu shutdown splash appears, (with the orange/white dots) and then the computer shuts off.

i know some people have had windows updates mess with their dual-boot. maybe this is what happened? however my GRUB is still intact.

anybody else have this problem? i need windows, but i like ubuntu much better. i'd like to be able to use both of them. got any ideas?

wilee-nilee
July 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM
check out this link it may be whats going on.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Windows_Writes_To_MB R