PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to increase space after installation

harpinder
July 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM
hi
i have installed ubuntu 10.04 inside windows 7.my window is on c drive and ubuntu is on d drive.on installation i have only give 5gb space to ubuntu.but now i want to increase this space for ubuntu as a full drive i.e the whole drive for ubuntu.
is this possible without uninstall? or i have to reinstall ubuntu.
i dont want to losse my data on ubuntu like upgrades and other softwares that i have installed.now i have only 1 gb free space.
please help
thanks

Rubi1200
July 24th, 2010, 06:14 PM
hi
i have installed ubuntu 10.04 inside windows 7.my window is on c drive and ubuntu is on d drive.on installation i have only give 5gb space to ubuntu.but now i want to increase this space for ubuntu as a full drive i.e the whole drive for ubuntu.
i dont want to losse my data on ubuntu like upgrades and other softwares that i have installed.now i have only 1 gb free space.
please help
thanks

i have installed ubuntu 10.04 inside windows 7

Did you install using Wubi or with the Ubuntu CD?

From within Ubuntu, go to the terminal and post the output of this:

sudo fdisk -l

ServerStorm
July 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi harpinder,

You need to make sure that your Master Boot Record is on your Ubuntu installation. To do this:

Download and create a Live CD of Ubuntu
Reboot into the Live CD
Open the console

# sudo grub

Find your Linux drive:

grub# find /boot/grub/stage1
for example this might return (hd2, 0)

Install GRUB into the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the Linux drive:

grub# root(hd2, 0)
grub# setup(hd2)

Open System -> Administration -> gParted (Use synaptic package manager to install it if you don't see it). Select the drive where you put the MBR and add the 'boot' flag to it.
Your Windows boot entries will be in menu.lst, you can safely delete them.
You can again use gParted and delete the volume(s) where window files are installed. You can recreate the raw space as a data drive for your Linux or resize your existing Linux (data) drives.

Hope this helps,
Steve

bcbc
July 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
hi
please help
thanks
You can migrate the wubi install: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

@severstorm: you're referring to grub-legacy, not grub2 which comes with 10.04. And installing grub to the MBR from a wubi install will make the computer unbootable. Either way - strange advice since the issue is one of space, not booting.

arpanaut
July 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
What in this post has anything to do with the OP question about gaining more space on his WUBI installation, on top of that 10.4 uses Grub2 and these instructions are for legacy grub.

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish by this post.
@harpinder, this has nothing to do with your question, please ignore.

Hi harpinder,

You need to make sure that your Master Boot Record is on your Ubuntu installation. To do this:

Download and create a Live CD of Ubuntu
Reboot into the Live CD
Open the console

# sudo grub

Find your Linux drive:

grub# find /boot/grub/stage1
for example this might return (hd2, 0)

Install GRUB into the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the Linux drive:

grub# root(hd2, 0)
grub# setup(hd2)

Open System -> Administration -> gParted (Use synaptic package manager to install it if you don't see it). Select the drive where you put the MBR and add the 'boot' flag to it.
Your Windows boot entries will be in menu.lst, you can safely delete them.
You can again use gParted and delete the volume(s) where window files are installed. You can recreate the raw space as a data drive for your Linux or resize your existing Linux (data) drives.

Hope this helps,
Steve

bcbc
July 24th, 2010, 07:46 PM
You can migrate the wubi install: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

Just to elaborate - if you want to use up the whole 'drive d:' for ubuntu and your wubi is currently installed on d:, the migrate script I linked to above will not allow you to migrate to the same partition.

I recommend shrinking your D: drive so you get a new partition, then migrating straight to that. Creating a swap partition is also a good idea. (Since you can only have 4 primary partitions, creating an extended partition gives you the most flexibility).

ServerStorm
July 26th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Sorry I should have read the post, question and version more closely. After re-reading your situation my advice does stink :( Sorry Harpinder... hopefully the others helped :oops:

Regards,
Steve

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Did you install using Wubi or with the Ubuntu CD?

From within Ubuntu, go to the terminal and post the output of this:

sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xe442e442

i have installed using ubuntu cd
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 2611 20972826 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 2612 19456 135307462+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 2612 5875 26218048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 5876 12402 52428096 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 12403 19456 56661223+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Sorry I should have read the post, question and version more closely. After re-reading your situation my advice does stink :( Sorry Harpinder... hopefully the others helped :oops:

Regards,
Steve

no problem brother,your are always welcome

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Just to elaborate - if you want to use up the whole 'drive d:' for ubuntu and your wubi is currently installed on d:, the migrate script I linked to above will not allow you to migrate to the same partition.

I recommend shrinking your D: drive so you get a new partition, then migrating straight to that. Creating a swap partition is also a good idea. (Since you can only have 4 primary partitions, creating an extended partition gives you the most flexibility).

i have 4 drives c,d,e,f. can i use e or f drive to migrate wubi as their is enough free space available.

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 04:09 AM
What in this post has anything to do with the OP question about gaining more space on his WUBI installation, on top of that 10.4 uses Grub2 and these instructions are for legacy grub.

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish by this post.
@harpinder, this has nothing to do with your question, please ignore.
thanks man

bcbc
July 26th, 2010, 06:12 AM
i have 4 drives c,d,e,f. can i use e or f drive to migrate wubi as their is enough free space available.

yes you can use any partition that is big enough and empty.

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
yes you can use any partition that is big enough and empty.

i have moved the wubi to f drive.i think so ;).as there are same files and folders on the d and f drive.so i think it is successful.
now,can i uninstall it from inside window?

bcbc
July 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
i have moved the wubi to f drive.i think so ;).as there are same files and folders on the d and f drive.so i think it is successful.

Yes, if you
1. chose to install the grub bootloader
2. have booted into your new install and used it and everything looks good.

Also, if you didn't set up a swap (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq) partition, then I recommend creating one (or use a swap file). The swap file won't allow hibernation, but it will work the same as a swap partition to improve performance if you do memory intensive tasks.

If you're still not sure you can post the results of the bootinfoscript (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) and I can have a look at what you've got.

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM
after installing grub bootloader i am not able to boot into ubuntu from the windows boot loader.whats going wrong.as i am a normal user i do not understand what is swap and how to make work it.
thanks for your help

bcbc
July 26th, 2010, 04:45 PM
after installing grub bootloader i am not able to boot into ubuntu from the windows boot loader.
Can you boot windows? When you select it from the grub menu, do you still get the windows boot manager offering Windows or Ubuntu? What error do you get when you select Ubuntu from the windows boot manager?

whats going wrong.as i am a normal user i do not understand what is swap and how to make work it.
thanks for your help
That link I gave you in the last post explains what swap is and how to set it up. If there is any part of it that is unclear I can try and clarify.

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=bcbc;9638594]Can you boot windows? When you select it from the grub menu, do you still get the windows boot manager offering Windows or Ubuntu? What error do you get when you select Ubuntu from the windows boot manager

yes i am using window now, it boots successfully.but when i use ubuntu in window boot manger it restarts my laptop.thats the problem.i have not uninstalled the wubi inside windows.after updating grub it shows the ubuntu two times i.e indide window and on disk f.i think so.what u think.

bcbc
July 26th, 2010, 05:17 PM
yes i am using window now, it boots successfully.but when i use ubuntu in window boot manger it restarts my laptop.thats the problem.i have not uninstalled the wubi inside windows.after updating grub it shows the ubuntu two times i.e indide window and on disk f.i think so.what u think.

No the 'two times' is simply the number of kernels you have (or normal and rescue mode). Grub won't automatically pick up a wubi install inside windows and list it - you have to select windows and then select Ubuntu.

But run the bootinfoscript (I added a link to the howto in a previous post). That should show what has happened.

harpinder
July 26th, 2010, 05:43 PM
as i am not able to boot into ubuntu then how can i use bootinfoscript.

bcbc
July 26th, 2010, 06:16 PM

How exactly did you migrate your wubi? Did you use the instructions on this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354) I provided?

What is the first menu you see when you boot your computer (after the bios loads)?

harpinder
July 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM
first menu is windows boot loader.in this windows7 and ubuntu are present.but when i select ubuntu it restarts my laptop.

seba505
July 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I am having the same problem with allocating space after installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS using wubi.
Windows is installed on C and Ubuntu is installed on D from within Windows. I left the default 17GB setting when I installed it.
I just want to have one computer in the network where everybody can share files. The D drive has ~60GB of space.

In home/user there are only 12.6 GB of free space and would like to expand this to the remaining free space.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this? Thanks

sudo fdisk -l says the following:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa5dfa5df

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1275 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 1276 9728 67898722+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 1276 9728 67898691 7 HPFS/NTFS