PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo - Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

C.S.Cameron
July 24th, 2010, 04:50 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20100723/tc_pcworld/tenreasonstodumpwindowsanduselinux

Jerry N
July 24th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Some people might suspect this guy's accuracy, especially when they notice that he can't count.

pwnst*r
July 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM
The guy's a moron.

CharlesA
July 24th, 2010, 05:44 PM
The article just reeks of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

He doesn't even mention the downsides.

headbuster
July 24th, 2010, 05:56 PM
This guy amuses me :D

Frak
July 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I am dissapoint.

kamaboko
July 24th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Whenever I read an article that say's stuff like "alien windows" or "fringe linux" I know it's a biased worthless piece of rubbish.

McRat
July 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Eh, I agree with his concept. I came to the same conclusion. We aren't going to Win7. Linux, XP, or Mac will replace machines as they need replacing.

Win7 is the best Desktop gaming platform today. It even drives your HDTV television and supports 3D Surround Sound.

But it offers nothing new for work that XP didn't have.

Win7 requires more hardware, more HDD space, more updates, more money, more training, longer install times, more hassle with licensing after you buy a license. There isn't an upside to it.

gnomeuser
July 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Pretty much the list that we generally see. Linux is free, runs on pretty much everything. Security and stability is generally expected to be better. Finally you have access to all your existing frameworks including high end ones such as .NET. Should you need it support can be had from the community for free or paid from a growing number of vendors.

Not a bad list (the basic math error aside) but no revolutionary insight either.

Merk42
July 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
There isn't an upside to it.No upside? oh of course, no one can ever admit an upside to a Microsoft product here.

...Win7 requires more hardware, more HDD space, more updates, more money, more training, longer install times, more hassle with licensing after you buy a license.

Linux, XP, or Mac will replace machines as they need replacing.
But (Ubuntu) linux and Mac require "more HDD space, more updates, more money, more training" than XP too.

Jaecyn42
July 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I find it funny that Yahoo! News would host this article, considering how they don't support Yahoo! Messenger for Linux and attempting to log into the new Yahoo! Mail on a Linux machine prompts a "This site has not been tested on your OS" warning.

Just mt $0.02.

phrostbyte
July 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
The "screw .NET / go Mono" thing is causing some drama among Microsoft developers. :popcorn:

lisati
July 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I find it funny that Yahoo! News would host this article, considering how they don't support Yahoo! Messenger for Linux and attempting to log into the new Yahoo! Mail on a Linux machine prompts a "This site has not been tested on your OS" warning.

Just mt $0.02.

I'm sure many of us have one or more reasons to complain about Yahoo, or any other service provider for that matter. For example, going to the "new" mail, clicking on options and choosing the option you wish to use, only to be told that the new version is still under construction, even though the newer version of the mail system has been round for a couple of years.

McRat
July 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
No upside? oh of course, no one can ever admit an upside to a Microsoft product here.

But (Ubuntu) linux and Mac require "more HDD space, more updates, more money, more training" than XP too.

Well sure! List why Win7 runs business applications better than other operating systems.

As far as point #2? Why would you replace XP if it's doing it's job. I'm not. When things stop working, I won't be going Win7, as I don't see it as a fix.

Merk42
July 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Well sure! List why Win7 runs business applications better than other operating systems.
Compared to XP, 7 is much better at multi-processor and 64bit support. There are a lot of general efficiency improvements; booting up, hibernation, networking, etc.

As far as point #2? Why would you replace XP if it's doing it's job. I'm not. When things stop working, I won't be going Win7, as I don't see it as a fix.I didn't say you would, I was pointing out the flaw in how you said they'd replace XP with Mac or Linux instead of Windows 7

seenthelite
July 25th, 2010, 12:27 AM
One of the good things about linux and the fact that for many people it just works, is it gives us a choice. If linux works for you great if Apple or the other one works for you great, it is your choice.

nerdy_kid
July 25th, 2010, 03:09 AM
the guy's a moron.

+1

kamaboko
July 25th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Win7 requires more hardware, more HDD space, more updates, more money, more training, longer install times, more hassle with licensing after you buy a license. There isn't an upside to it.

Rubbish. I have it on an Asus 1000HA netbook with 2GB, 160GBHD, and some cheap on-the-board video processor and it runs great. Took no more time to install and update than my Ubuntu install did. Upsides....HDDVD and Bluray support. Audio/Video through HDMI out. Excellent for HTPC's...and beats the pants off any Linux HTPC setup.

Goolie
July 25th, 2010, 04:29 AM
BUT THERE"s ONLY 9!!

d3v1150m471c
July 25th, 2010, 04:45 AM
this is more about servers than it is about everyday desktop users, which is why I agree with "most" of the article. On the flip-side, he's wrong about hardware compatibility and it may or may not be a coincidence he didn't bring peripherals into the argument. Look at acers and our hardware heavy HP's...not so compatible on a lot of those, at least not without some to much work. And software, yeah... No adobe photoshop for linux yet.

Khakilang
July 25th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I only need 3 reason to dump Window. 1. Virus 2. Spyware and 3. Malware. Simple!

gnomeuser
July 25th, 2010, 09:03 AM
The "screw .NET / go Mono" thing is causing some drama among Microsoft developers. :popcorn:

*sigh* Citation needed.

inobe
July 25th, 2010, 09:08 AM
the first reason to dump any operating system is it's eula, when you get pass that things become even more staggering and difficult to accept.

Frak
July 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
*sigh* Citation needed.
Unless we're on Encyclopedia Dramatica where all that's needed is an animated gif of some guy getting hit over the head with a flower pot.

Merk42
July 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
the first reason to dump any operating system is it's eula, when you get pass that things become even more staggering and difficult to accept.For you and others maybe, but the (poorly done) article was aimed at the average user, who really doesn't care if they can't modify the source code.

MooPi
July 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Fanboy or not the 9 reasons have some merit. All business have different needs and one OS does not fulfill all of them. Consider my personal computer needs. I require a very fast graphics enabled gaming platform (Windows). I also require a stable platform that is free of virus and malware, that lets me encode music, video (Linux) I'm just a simple user with basic needs but I also require two systems. Now consider the complexity and diverse nature of business. One system does not fit all, they can only try. My first choice is always Linux and if I were in charge of a business I'd choose Linux first and Windows/Mac/OS2/DOS...... whenever it was required.

phrostbyte
July 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
*sigh* Citation needed.

http://www.jfplayhouse.com/

SunnyRabbiera
July 25th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Wtill this article amazes me concerning yahoo's past pro microsoft stance

phrostbyte
July 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Wtill this article amazes me concerning yahoo's past pro microsoft stance

Is it Yahoo really? Seems like PC World wrote it. :)

Yahoo is not exactly pro Microsoft either. Most of their infrastructure is Linux based. Even on the business level, their upper management rejected Microsoft's takeover bid, it's only after a stakeholder rebellion that they did any kind of deal with Microsoft.