PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Ony
July 24th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hey, All

Ony, here just wanted to say hi ;-) New to all this Ubuntu stuff I can't believe this Ubuntu is free, for all. Well may all of you have a safe weekend! Time for me to go play with my new friend Ubuntu guy ;-)

Rubi1200
July 24th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums,
if you need help with anything just ask.

:)

Ony
July 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hello, Rubi1200

Wow thanks I've been blown away by all the information on this forum ;-) I am just wondering how can this Ubuntu be free ? What really has me, is all the great help on this site you all have a great thing going on here.

Safe weekend ;-)

BlazeFire247
July 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll enjoy your Ubuntu experience :)

Ony
July 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks ;-)

I have to say I like this Ubuntu stuff I'm not much when it comes to that Terminal thing, but I think that will come with time, but what I really like about it is that everyone else in this house don't seem to like it :-( Well after thinking about it, for a bit, this is a plus on my side ;-)

Safe weekend

lisati
July 24th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Moved to "Community Cafe"

PaulReaver
July 24th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hello..

terminal is dead easy when you get used to it, it isn't any different from a windows terminal (apart from having a ton more features)

Easiest way I found to learn the terminal is

$ man <application name>
eg.
$ man firefox
will display firefox's manual (not all apps have manuals btw)

or

$ <application name> -h
$ <application name> -help
$ <application name> --help

$ firefox -h
should display firefox's help

welcome to the forums.

Rasa1111
July 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Welcome Ony.

Im with ya,
I love Ubuntu! lol

I just started using it myself about 8 or so months ago.
and admittedly I was slightly intimidated at first,
but my 'fears' were for nothing..
and my experience has been nothing short of amazing. :D

I just can't believe how great it is,
and that it is free!

Honestly,
i love it more than any ******* or mac PC's ive ever used. lol :D

i was skecthy of terminal for a lil'bit to,
but you will definitely get into it, and even start liking it!

but the best part, when i first started using Ubuntu..
and i learned that i did not HAVE to use the terminal if i wasnt comfy with it yet! lol

it's amazing the stuff you can do with this OS man,
you'll find more and more awesomeness around every corner, for real! lol

have fun, g'luck, peace <3

lisati
July 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Like many other programs, pressing F1 while running Firefox should show Firefox's help.

Ony
July 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM
PaulReaver & Rasa1111

Thanks for the welcome ;-)

@ PaulReaver

Thanks for the information it's been copied and put away, for later ;-)

@ Rasa1111

Yes I am with you this is one great software ;-) I've been looking over the site tons of help if one looks, for it, I think I'll be staying with this Ubuntu, for sometime to come. Best part for me is everyone else here doesn't seem to like it to bad looks like I will have all the fun this time around.

Safe weekend

Sorry here meaning my home ;-)

PaulReaver
July 24th, 2010, 08:54 AM
no problem. any time

murderslastcrow
July 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Don't seem to like the terminal, or Ubuntu? Lol, some people just don't like the unfamiliar, regardless of its quality. So yeah, don't let that distract you, Ubuntu is really great. It takes care of you instead of the other way around. And let's hope you're not using the terminal for anything but like, the occasional DVD playback installation. Everything else can be done with the graphical interface, although the terminal is very useful if you're interested.

Some people on these forums tend to tell you instructions for the terminal because either 1. They're used to it, so it's logical for them, or 2. They want to have the information it spits out if things don't happen the way they expect. Unless it's a serious bug or something, which isn't very common, you probably won't have to use the terminal at all.

Anyway, great to see you here. Seeing your honest opinion of it reminds me of how shocked I was when I found Ubuntu all those months ago. It's funny, but you might eventually grow a little accustomed to how speedy, convenient, and easy it is.

However, since it's so nice, sometimes you forget you're using a computer. XD

Ony
July 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hello, Murderslastcrow

I don't see what there is not to like with this OS maybe I just happen to hit upon Ubuntu at the right time, but I am not missing Windows one bit. I also like the idea of not having to look at a Firewall, Virus scanner, Spy-ware scanner, well I think you know how this song goes. ;-)

safe weekend

murderslastcrow
July 25th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Well, because there is no motivator to the developers outside of making excellent software, you don't find many niggling issues outside of being able to use certain Windows programs someone's used to, which is mostly taken care of with Wine.

So yeah, most people don't miss Windows. The one thing you'll probably realize soon, however, is that if you ever have to use Windows at work/school/a friend's house, you're likely to become a little frustrated and impatient with it. XD That's the only thing you really lose when you use Linux, patience.

But yeah, I'm glad it suits your needs. We're all here to help you with any problems and I hope you discover even more benefits to using open source software as you explore.

Khakilang
July 25th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hello, Murderslastcrow

I don't see what there is not to like with this OS maybe I just happen to hit upon Ubuntu at the right time, but I am not missing Windows one bit. I also like the idea of not having to look at a Firewall, Virus scanner, Spy-ware scanner, well I think you know how this song goes. ;-)

safe weekend

Hi and welcome! Same reason as I am when switching to Ubuntu and now I got free time on this forums. I learn about Ubuntu just last year and now I use Ubuntu on my main computer and never look back.:D

Kdar
July 25th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Hello :)
Welcome!

Ony
July 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hey,

Thanks to all for the welcome ;-) I hope to be spending some time here at these forums seeing that there is just so much information going around. ;-)

Best of luck