PDA

View Full Version : The coolest thing I've ever done on Ubuntu.

Starks
July 24th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Installing Windows to a raw partition using VirtualBox in order to create a dual-boot.

Browsing the web while installing Windows is something Microsoft would never even dream of with their licensing.

Rasa1111
July 24th, 2010, 01:26 AM
lol cool.

I dont think I can talk about the coolest thing ive ever done in Ubuntu..
for nat. sec. reasons. :lol: lol :p

it amazes me more and more every day though. :D

CCoder
July 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM
lol cool.

I dont think I can talk about the coolest thing ive ever done in Ubuntu..
for nat. sec. reasons. :lol: :p

it amazes me more and more every day though. :D
I am interested :D

ubunterooster
July 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Try running Ubuntu in windows in Ubuntu :D Just for kicks

Rasa1111
July 24th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I am interested :D

lol,
good,
enough interest in the right areas can get you some good stuff. lol. ;)

linux18
July 24th, 2010, 02:12 AM
with my computer, I can transcode video in windows in ubuntu in windows in ubuntu, of course im using a very lightweight / customized windows and ubuntu.

Rasa1111
July 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
with my computer, I can transcode video in windows in ubuntu in windows in ubuntu, of course im using a very lightweight / customized windows and ubuntu.

why?
is there a point to this?
or is it just for kicks?
im ******* free anyway, just wondering why. lol

ubunterooster
July 24th, 2010, 02:17 AM
why?
is there a point to this?
or is it just for kicks?
im ******* free anyway, just wondering why. lol
Yup, just for kicks :lolflag:

linux18
July 24th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I might just have too much free time ( see my post #9 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1537605 ) but it sure is fun!

undecim
July 24th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I had to do that with VirtualBox just recently, because the Windows installer wouldn't work on my hardware. It was funny that it told me from the installer on the CD that it didn't have the necesarry drivers to read the CD, but yet it still let me browse the CD to search for drivers. Using VirtualBox for the first part of the installation though worked out fine.

Also, this has nothing to do with Ubuntu, but I once installed Arch Linux without rebooting. It was on an EeePC. I was able to find a terminal on the crippled Linux OS that comes with them, then create a small chroot in a ramdisk from which to run the installer. Once it was all done, I continued to install packages, create a user, install GDM, and set up the system just like I like it, then one reboot into the installed system and I was good to go.

Khakilang
July 24th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I try Virtual OSE at first but couldn't get the USB to work and so I download the PUEL version thinking I had to use the command line to install. But after the download I just click on the file and it install by itself and able to install Window XP and activate the USB port. I may not be that cool but Ubuntu is cool.

Rasa1111
July 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM

lol, cool. :)

that is a good way to learn for sure.

ahhhh the things interest can get us.. lol:KS

mkendall
July 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM

But don't it seem that Kicks just keep getting harder to find? And all your kicks ain't bringin' you peace of mind?

Starks
July 24th, 2010, 05:12 AM
chrooting into a broken ubuntu install is also one of the cooler things i've done.

ubunterooster
July 24th, 2010, 12:26 PM
But don't it seem that Kicks just keep getting harder to find? And all your kicks ain't bringin' you peace of mind?
Yes, it does keep getting harder but I keep getting better so it is an endless cycle and I like it that way :D

chriswyatt
July 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Has there been a world record attempt for the most virtualised operating systems (i.e. OS in OS in OS in OS etc.)?

ronnielsen1
July 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Try running Ubuntu in windows in Ubuntu

Love it! :D Windows takes too long to install but I have installed gOS inside Linux Mint inside Ubuntu

CCoder
July 24th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Try running Mac in Windows in Linux Mint in Ubuntu :lol:

undecim
July 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Try running Mac in Windows in Linux Mint in Ubuntu :lol:

... in bsd, in Haiku, in DOS, in OS/2

TeoBigusGeekus
July 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Yo dawg... :p

phrostbyte
July 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
So I am guessing Virtualbox has advanced in this aspect? Have you been able to use the same OS image as a VM and as a dual boot?

Starks
July 25th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Yes. It's quite fascinating. Windows 7 is flexible enough in its driver detection to allow it.

undecim
July 25th, 2010, 12:59 AM
So I am guessing Virtualbox has advanced in this aspect? Have you been able to use the same OS image as a VM and as a dual boot?

Yup. You can make a special virtual disk that uses /dev/sda to store its info. Permissions on it tend to be a pain though.

undecim
July 25th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Question: Can you use hardware virtualization with the VM inside of a VM?

Starks
July 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Yup. You can make a special virtual disk that uses /dev/sda to store its info. Permissions on it tend to be a pain though.
You don't use a full disk image. Just image the partition that contains /boot and the blank partition for Windows.

In the end though, you still need to do a gksu'd Vbox environment.

phrostbyte
July 25th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Yes. It's quite fascinating. Windows 7 is flexible enough in its driver detection to allow it.

I would be careful though, definitely back up everything you have on the Windows side regularly. :)

SoFl W
July 25th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I have one of those discovered "You didn't know you could do that?" things. After years of using pscp, putty and the command line (Windows and Linux) for everything, I now use a book marked "connect to server..." ssh connection so my remote servers act like local drives when I need them to.
It isn't a big deal but I am old school and was always used to the command line. Had all these macros and functions set up to make things easier before.

I remember when an Avid video editing system cost $80,000. I told someone when they got down to about $30,000 that someday people would have them for home. The person laughed at me. Linux offers very decent open source video editing tools.

murderslastcrow
July 25th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Lol, I love how a lot of these 'coolest things' are activities most common computers don't understand the significance of. "I run Windows all the time, what's so cool about running it like that?" Like, Virtualization and things like that make no sense to Windows users unless you explain to them what Linux is.

But yeah, outside of running dozens of programs at once without ever having an inkling of a slowdown (even with Flash running), I think it's pretty freaking cool that I can do all my freelance work with open software without skipping a beat. It makes you more productive if you can work on using open standards along with it.

The more XCFs, SVGs, and ODTs you send people, the higher the demand for proprietary applications to support them. Of course, I can open/save theirs, but it'd be nice to make open standards based file formats real standards.

ubunterooster
July 25th, 2010, 03:09 AM
The coolest thing I've ever done on Ubuntu is
apt-get moo ;)

Starks
July 25th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I would be careful though, definitely back up everything you have on the Windows side regularly. :)
I don't keep anything on that partition that I'd ever particularly care about.

user1397
July 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM

i wonder whats the most that people have done with respect to putting an OS inside another OS in a virtual machine...

anyone know?

jerenept
July 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM
The coolest thing I've ever done on Ubuntu is
apt-get moo ;)

NO,No...

aptitude moo
aptitude -v moo
aptitude-vv moo
aptitude-vvv moo

etc.

jerenept
July 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM
i wonder whats the most that people have done with respect to putting an OS inside another OS in a virtual machine...

anyone know?

That would be unbelievably slow, and probably awful.

mkendall
July 25th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Yes, it does keep getting harder but I keep getting better so it is an endless cycle and I like it that way :D

Before you find out it's too late, girl, you better get straight.

No, you don't need Kicks.

(For those who haven't figured it out, I quoted the refrain to "Kicks" by Paul Revere and the Raiders.)

Doobie9
July 25th, 2010, 11:19 PM
When I first got pulseaudio working alongside x-forwarding so I could run sheepshaver (which I use to view files from my *old* Mac) with old Mac Os 9 on my netbook from my Core i7 desktop and show that to my parents.

I thought to myself: *This* is what it's all about.

Next I'm going to run sheepshaver inside of an x-forwarded virtualbox; and inside of that I'm going to run an old Mac 68k emulator. Just for the hell of it. At this point I'm coming up with solutions in need of problems.

Starks
July 25th, 2010, 11:59 PM
That's pretty cool. Kicks the **** out of me doing an SSH+X into the Linux lab on campus from my house.

cj.surrusco
July 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM

I guess you get bored every once in a while when you have an i7 with 6GB of ram.

linux18
July 26th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I guess you get bored every once in a while when you have an i7 with 6GB of ram.
I didn't think it was possible either until it happened, I really should get electricsheep and compile kernels more often to avoid boredom.