PDA

View Full Version : tell me

hungerformore
July 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
what is the major difference between ubuntu commands and knopix commands

Goolie
July 23rd, 2010, 11:42 PM
what is the major difference between ubuntu commands and knopix commands

I'm new, so wait for someone to affirm this, but I think Knoppix should use the Bourne again Shell as well, and it should be exactly the same. . .

RiceMonster
July 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
nothing. Linux is linux.

HoKaze
July 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Knoppix is based on Debian, as is Ubuntu. Both use the Bourne Again SHell (BASH) and both will have many similar installed command-line programs (apt-get for example). There will be subtle differences based on versions of the commands, version of the shell, which programs are installed, etc but from a general perspective they're almost identical.
What commands in particular are you thinking of? Some distros use different means to achieve the same results.

cariboo
July 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Most of the commands in /bin are the same no matter what distro you're using.

NMFTM
July 24th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Sometimes commands are different between distros. For example, the useradd/adduser command on Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 13. On Ubuntu it asks you a series of questions by default, on Fedora it only adds the user and you have to specify the user's attributes with switches.

collinp
July 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Knoppix is based off Debian - similarly, Ubuntu is based off Debian. There are certainly differences - there would be no point in calling it a "distribution" if it was identical or nearly identical to another - but, unless the Knoppix developers have done some serious modifying of Debian (which, in my experience with Knoppix, I haven't noticed), there shouldn't be that much of a difference. Ubuntu generally contains more applications than other distros, so it's plausible to consider that Knoppix may lack some of the applications/commands that Ubuntu has, and vice versa.

hungerformore
August 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM
thanks]