PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Can't boot from usb on Acer Aspire netbook

miss_chalet
July 23rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
First of all, please excuse my lack of knowledge. I am brand new. I just got an Acer Aspire One 532h netbook with Windows 7 starter. I am trying to boot Ubuntu 10.04 netbook from a usb I created on an iMac with Snow Leopard. I reset the boot order and my netbook still boots in Windows.

So, this is what I've done so far: Downloaded 10.04 as an ISO and followed instructions on Ubuntu site. I was able to convert ISO to IMG file, but since believe I only need the ISO file since I'm not installing on a mac. I created bootable usb drive by following instructions for mac terminal. That all seems to work fine. But my pc keeps telling me that drive is not formatted correctly. I've formatted in Windows to Fat32 and created bootable drive on my Mac again but this doesn't work. I've formatted in OS X via disk utility to MS-Dos and this doesn't work either.

Can someone please provide detailed instructions for me? Or do you recommend using Wubi? I haven't really checked that out yet. This is all a bit over my head but I'm able to follow instructions and can basically find my way around a computer with a little help.

thanks so much

00b00nt00
July 23rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Creating a bootable USB stick is easy-peasy within Ubuntu itself, which is rather a Catch-22 situation! However, if you can burn a live CD of Ubuntu and then run the live CD on another PC, you can use startup disk creator to make a bootable USB stick for your Aspire.