PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu newbie

ddaymen
July 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hello all!, I am currently trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on an old laptop. one that had Win. 95 on it, I am only doing this an such an old machine because it has some sentimental value (had belonged to father). Anyway, it is a Panasonic Toughbook cf25, with a tiny 4gb hard drive. Since it has no cd rom/usb ports, I put the hard drive in a cf27, and am trying to install ubuntu from a cd I burned using another computer.
Okay, here's the question: when it is finally finished installing, and tells me to restart the computer, do I need to remove the cd before doing so? Leaving it in when the computer restarts gives me different messages, don't remember them now as I am trying it again, but basically the installation didn't complete properly.

Any advice on what I may be doing wrong? Again, the computer I wish to run ubuntu 10.04 on is an old Panasonic Toughbook cf25, 4gb hard drive.

Thanks in advance,

-DDaymen

CCoder
July 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Well, personnally, I think there will be some driver issues. Because the computer you install it on isn't the same as the computer you want to use it on.

I, personnally, would throw both of them out of the window, but if it has a sentimental value, I don't have anything to say.. :-\"

Without wax,
CCoder.

Rubi1200
July 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
If the installation completes successfully and it tells you to restart, then yes you must remove the CD.

And, if it installs correctly, you are likely to have problems with disk space. I installed Ubuntu and just a very few extra programs and my total install comes to about 3GB. You would have to then consider how/where to save things going forward.

ddaymen
July 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
I would only be using this old thing for wi-fi at home, and I do have an extra 8gb hard drive I guess I will put in it. Yeah, it's old and obviously out-dated but it was my father's, and if I can at least use it somehow I would be happy. I only wanted to install Ubuntu 'cause a co-worker suggested it due to the laptop's age and the fact I wanted to get some use out of it. I do have a newer laptop(s), Hewlett-Packard (1 1/2 years old, Panasonic toughbook cf28, a couple of cf27's, Dell Latitude)-no shortage of computers, just wanted to get some use out of the old thing, the Win. 95 operating system on it was usless due to some old proprietary engineering software!

Thanks,

-DDaymen

CCoder
July 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
a couple of cf27's
We've got a Panasonic collector :D

ddaymen
July 24th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Yeah, got into them 1 1/2 years ago. I have a habit of dropping things, what can I say!

Juat what is the best version of ubuntu for an older laptop?

Rubi1200
July 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM
You will hear a lot of opinions about this, but the general consensus seems to be that the following are good for older laptops (not necessarily in any order):

Xubuntu

Lubuntu

Puppy Linux

SliTaz