PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] log-in

DBudgell
July 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
after install unable to log in typed user name, no problem. when I try to type in password nothing types in

ajgreeny
July 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
after install unable to log in typed user name, no problem. when I try to type in password nothing types in
Is this in a gui login or a command line? If command line it will not show for security reasons, but it will be entered so just hit "return". If this is a gui login, it is most unusual not to see the dots appear, but no letters, of course, again for security reasons. I presume you have already tried this, but if you just hit "return" after entering the password silently you may become logged in, I suppose, though it seems most unusual, as I said before, and I do not know of any way to get the dots to show if they are not there by default.

DBudgell
July 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Is this in a gui login or a command line? If command line it will not show for security reasons, but it will be entered so just hit "return". If this is a gui login, it is most unusual not to see the dots appear, but no letters, of course, again for security reasons. I presume you have already tried this, but if you just hit "return" after entering the password silently you may become logged in, I suppose, though it seems most unusual, as I said before, and I do not know of any way to get the dots to show if they are not there by default.
gui, curser does not move

ajgreeny
July 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Perhaps your install CD was faulty.

Boot to it again but as you switch on the computer hit any key. A menu should appear with an option to check the media.

Use that and see if an error is found, and if so, download the iso file again, preferably by bit-torrent client as that reduces the likelyhood of a faulty download.

PS:
Please don't double post with the same problem.

cllewis91592
July 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
no one likes double posts #-o

DBudgell
July 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM

Boot to it again but as you switch on the computer hit any key. A menu should appear with an option to check the media.

Use that and see if an error is found, and if so, download the iso file again, preferably by bit-torrent client as that reduces the likelyhood of a faulty download.

PS:
sorry an accident happened

DBudgell
July 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM

PS:
Checked cd no problems found

Bronto
July 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
If your password is numeric only enter it by using the regular keys not the numpad (if that's the case).

DBudgell
July 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
no joy will try another system