PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] In need of help after Ubuntu install

johnnydangerx2
July 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
Hello everyone. Ive used Linux in the past but its been a couple of years. I just built a computer out of older parts for my kids and it has WinXP on it. I decided I wanted to try to dual book with one form of linux or another. I put an old 40gb hard drive in the computer and I want to be able to boot linux from there. I was recommended to try Ubuntu because it was fairly straight forward.

Well, I install Ubuntu from a USB thumb drive. The install stated it was successful and that I needed to restart my computer. This is where I ran into my first problem. When I press ok it gives me a long list of error codes, they are different errors, but very close in terms of what they say. I honestly cant remember what it said. After all the errors were listed the PC did nothing. I was only left with the option of resetting my PC via the reset button.

Once I did this my PC booted like normal and went straight to Windows. When I used linux in the past and did a dual boot I would get a splash screen at boot asking me to choose the operating system I want to go to. This never happens after the Ubuntu install. That is my problem now. Does anyone know what I did wrong or how I can get into the Ubuntu OS?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

wilee-nilee
July 23rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
If you installed Xubuntu on another drive and didn't point the grub bootloader at it from the advanced button on the last screen of the install setup, this is probably the problem. Post the bootscript in my signature to confirm your setup and post it it code tags as described. You can also get the code tags in the reply, highlight the pasted txt and click on the # in the reply panel.

johnnydangerx2
July 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Thank you. I will do that shortly.

johnnydangerx2
July 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I did what was said and I still cant get into ubuntu. I get the boot screen asking to select what OS to use, but it wont load ubuntu when selected. It gives me some error then brings up something that looks like dos and I cant type in commands, but dont.

Any idea?

wilee-nilee
July 24th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I did what was said and I still cant get into ubuntu. I get the boot screen asking to select what OS to use, but it wont load ubuntu when selected. It gives me some error then brings up something that looks like dos and I cant type in commands, but dont.

Any idea?

Use a Ubuntu live cd to run the bootscript.

johnnydangerx2
July 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Ok, I will try that next.