PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to quickly create shortcuts ?

AM_SOS
July 23rd, 2010, 05:49 AM
hi,
unless i am missing out on a nice shortcut, ubuntu would seem to have a pretty convoluted way of creating shortcuts on the desktop.
e.g. to create a location shortcut (say for Documents) i need to create a launcher first. this in itself requires one to know the exact path, besides of courses a good amount of typing.
now i know many will call me lazy etc, but surely the point of unbuntu is to make the OS easier to operate, especially for novice users.
so is there some other direct and quick way to create shortcuts other than of course the usual dragging and dropping route?
thanks

staf0048
July 23rd, 2010, 05:53 AM
What's wrong with the drag and drop option again?

That seems pretty quick and easy to me.

Goolie
July 23rd, 2010, 05:55 AM
What's wrong with the drag and drop option again?

That seems pretty quick and easy to me.

I was wondering to, so I went to Places, dragged Documents onto desktop and voila!

But are looking to make a launcher for a specific app or something along those lines?

utnubuuser
July 23rd, 2010, 05:56 AM
select folder/location, right-click, select 'make link', place link where you want it.

munkyeetr
July 23rd, 2010, 06:07 AM
Or from the command line:

ln -s /path/to/real/file /path/to/link/location

AM_SOS
July 23rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
thanks utnubuuser and munkyeetr!
this is exactly what i was looking for. in fact, should have played around a bit and would have got it on my own.
although dragging and dropping obviously works, i find it unwieldy to work with :)