PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] recovering ubuntu

madeel
July 23rd, 2010, 05:37 AM
I was trying to install djvupdf. In that process I was recommeded by the system following command:

sudo apt-get install -f

It seems that it has destory the desktop envoirnment. I can now log in only at the command prompt. I don't know how to recover it. Moreover, I have also windows in one partition. I could access my the files on Ubuntu from windows but not any more. I can re-install ubuntu, but I have a lot of important data which I would like to copy first.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

staf0048
July 23rd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Ok, first of all, what type of media do you want to burn your files to? USB drive, cd rom, external HDD, or just the windows partition?

utnubuuser
July 23rd, 2010, 06:01 AM
here's a how-to on restoring the desktop to default state, though I'm kinda guessing that's not really what you're looking for
http://sazeit.com/articles/restoring-ubuntu

P.S. It's also possible to re-install Ubuntu without loosing documents/data.

It's especially easy if you've created a separate /home partition when you installed Ubuntu.
There are several good tutorials around on re-installing without formatting.

Basically, when you're doing an install, once you reach the stage of the installation process concerning partitioning, simply select manual partitioning, then select your Ubuntu / (root) partition, keep the settings as they are and UN-CHECK 'format this partition'.
Ubuntu will then be re-installed while documents/data are retained. (I've only done this on installations with separate /home partitions, but something tells me it works in single partition installations as well.

madeel
July 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks all of you for your help. Ubuntu has resotred now!!