PDA

View Full Version : What does your toolkit consist of?

bocaccio
July 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Ok what kind of usb flash drive and how big is it and what do you have on it? Security, networking, os's, ebooks, programs, tools, whatever it is..

I have a corsair rugged 16gb and it has some ebooks about python, C#, some networking programs, some guides on ubuntu (as im currently running ubuntu netbook remix and win7 on my netbook), unetbootin (this tool is CRUCIAL when booting from a usb stick), and a few stuff to get into my dekstop at home from my netbook when im away from home. Oh yeah i forgot another important tool for me is gparted.

mcduck
July 22nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
2GB (actually it's the only USB stick I've ever owned, for some reason or other). And all it contains is Grub2 for booting, .iso files for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu & Netbook Remix, and some music to listen to while installing/fixing somebody's computer.

betlog
July 23rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
4gb USB stick
puppylinux 431
persistent passworded root login stored in high encryption 512Mb pupsave file, which is really just to protect the OS, skype and its logs, and KeePassX (also strongly passworded) which contains all my passwords which occasionally gets synched with my main machine.

That leaves ~3-and a bit Gb of ext3 to save miscellaneous crap on if i need anyhting that i dont care about crypto with, or just quickly want to toss somehting on the drive from linux without actually booting puppy... or boot puppy to yoink somehtig from a windows box. I'd never let someone elses windows platform write to it anyway, so the ext3 incompatibility is moot. And a good excuse not to let them.

I just recently put the build/make module on it, but I'm going to try to avoid using it to add/tinker on just to retain the purity of this stick as an important emergency backup device and portable access to any idle computer.

Having this on hand when my motherboard died recently, specifically because it has skype and keepass already installed with all my access codes... was refreshingly useful. I could jump on pretty much any computeer with bootable USB and in my own time, research and purchase my slightly arcane replacement motherboard requirements.

The stick sits on a chain with another identical USB stick, blank formatted FAT32. and my netbank security token number generator doohickey.

Puppy linux on a stick is surprisingly powerful, well equipped, runs on almost anything, self explanatory, and simple to use... outstanding for an emergency portable OS. Not bad for every day use either actually.

bocaccio
July 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
4gb USB stick
puppylinux 431
persistent passworded root login stored in high encryption 512Mb pupsave file, which is really just to protect the OS, skype and its logs, and KeePassX (also strongly passworded) which contains all my passwords which occasionally gets synched with my main machine.

That leaves ~3-and a bit Gb of ext3 to save miscellaneous crap on if i need anyhting that i dont care about crypto with, or just quickly want to toss somehting on the drive from linux without actually booting puppy... or boot puppy to yoink somehtig from a windows box. I'd never let someone elses windows platform write to it anyway, so the ext3 incompatibility is moot. And a good excuse not to let them.

I just recently put the build/make module on it, but I'm going to try to avoid using it to add/tinker on just to retain the purity of this stick as an important emergency backup device and portable access to any idle computer.

Having this on hand when my motherboard died recently, specifically because it has skype and keepass already installed with all my access codes... was refreshingly useful. I could jump on pretty much any computeer with bootable USB and in my own time, research and purchase my slightly arcane replacement motherboard requirements.

The stick sits on a chain with another identical USB stick, blank formatted FAT32. and my netbank security token number generator doohickey.

Puppy linux on a stick is surprisingly powerful, well equipped, runs on almost anything, self explanatory, and simple to use... outstanding for an emergency portable OS. Not bad for every day use either actually.

Guess I'll have to put puppy on mine too. I thought id use some "forensics" distros i got from www.distrowatch.com (http://www.distrowatch.com) but i'll ck out puppy os. What is this software called that you encrypt with?

betlog
July 23rd, 2010, 05:10 AM
What is this software called that you encrypt with?
just the inbuilt puppy stuff... its been a long time since i did it, but if you look up the puppy instructions for setting a root password its all tied in with the crypto too.
i'll post a link if i come across it when im a bit more awake..but you'll find it

betlog
July 23rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
related
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9539930#post9539930

celldweller1591
July 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
4GB PD with Ubuntu bootable and 2GB PD with an aptoncd image of bout 350mb to make things easy :)
and a bootable backtrack DVD for problems like somebody forgot admin pass in windows (dual boot senario)!!

celldweller1591
July 23rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
related
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...30#post9539930 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9539930#post9539930)
interesting..will try it :) Thanks !

ubunterooster
July 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
4x8GB sticks
2x4GB
3x16GB
1x32

Knock me down and I will figure out what happened and get back up. They have everything I could need; might be something missing, but I'll stick it on one soon ;)

Bachstelze
July 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I love threads like this, they remind me there are people who are way further down the geek road than I am. I have one USB drive (4GB) and I only use it to install OSes or when I need to move some documents around (and even that is rare, generally I just upload them on my ded server).

The Real Dave
July 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
I have a load of USB drives, but only one has an OS on it, my first ever, a 128MB drive with USB2.0. I've had that thing for years. It usually holds Clonezilla, usually the only vital thing I carry around.

I often have a Backtrack4 DVD with me also, for resetting passwords, and such.

bocaccio
July 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
4x8GB sticks
2x4GB
3x16GB
1x32

Knock me down and I will figure out what happened and get back up. They have everything I could need; might be something missing, but I'll stick it on one soon ;)

Dude I no longer ban you ever again!!! You can stay in my fridge and I'll just not look at your out of focus avatar!!

I have:

1-16gb
2-1gb
1-2gb

And Now I wanna get a 32 or 64gb; mainly I'm always looking on tigerdirect and other places for some really cheap deals on either 2 or 4gb sticks.

Like you said if you dont have it on them then you probably don't need it!!!

conundrumx
July 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
One 32mb flash drive with dd, telnet and vi on it.

gemmakaru
July 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
My toolkit consists of two philips screwdrivers, one for PC cases and one for my laptop hd bay.

Corfy
July 24th, 2010, 12:12 AM
1GB - several Windows installers for freeware and open-source programs

4GB - Live Ubuntu

8GB - several apps from PortableApps (http://www.portableapps.com), including 7-zip, ClamWin, FileZilla, Firefox, GIMP, InfraRecorder, Inkscape, KeePass, KompoZer, Lightscreen, Notepad++, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, Putty, Sumatra PDF, and VLC Player. I also have a portable version of TrueCrypt, as well as a TrueCrypt volume

(I may use Ubuntu at home, but I am in charge of the Windows network at the office, so I try to be prepared)

I keep all of those on a keychain, along with a LED flashlight (which comes in handy while crawling under people's desks to work on computers). I used to carry a generic Swiss Army-style knife (which had a flat and phillips screwdriver, scissors, knife, and various other tools), but everyplace is getting so crazy with banning weapons that I don't carry it around anymore for fear of getting arrested.

ubunterooster
July 24th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Sorry if this is considered threadjacking but I just started a thread on Portable apps for linux and thought a link would be fitting to be placed here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9628511#post9628511

Rasa1111
July 24th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Two 2 GB sticks,
Three 1GB sticks,
a few each of 512MB and 256MB,
a 1TB external drive (crucial!)
and a 250GB external drive. (also crucial)
woot. lol

Tibuda
July 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Gtk+ 2.20.1-2

HoKaze
July 24th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I'm highly disappointed in this thread and the geek cred of everyone here as nobody still appears to be using floppy disks. There are still some useful mini distros that can fit on a floppy ;)

ubunterooster
July 24th, 2010, 02:45 AM
floppies??? I think we have some in our attic...

http://theofficemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/floppy-disk-earrings.jpg

McRat
July 24th, 2010, 03:57 AM
A screwdriver (mostly vodka, with just a little juice for color)
A ball peen hammer.
A book of Chinese profanities, in case the English ones malfunction.

Khakilang
July 24th, 2010, 04:05 AM
A multi head screwdriver and 8GB pen drive and a case of all the CD drivers for motherboard, NIC, graphics card, modem, printer, freeware etc... All this is for Window. Some people always lose their CD and I got to use mine to install into their hardware.

linux18
July 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I only use one 4GB usb which contains:

-puppy linux 5
-512 MB of music
-a persistent xubuntu
-a custom windows xp iso
-a hell of a lot of windows drivers
-proprietary nvidia & ati drivers for linux
-a zip archive of all of my important shell scripts
-lots of portable apps from www.portableapps.com

also my toolkit contains:

-usb wifi stick
-ubuntu 8.10 cd
-20GB hard drive
-danmsmalllinux cd
-a multihead screwdriver
-64MB SDRAM, 256MB DDR2, 1GB DDR3
-Intel Celeron 850mhz, Pentium 4, AMD K6, AMD Athlon
-4 rolls of duct tape ( the most important part of the whole kit )

i sorted my lists very well :D