PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft extends Xp again and plans Xp Sp4.

kio_http
July 22nd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Extended support for Windows Xp was supposed to stop in July 2014. Microsoft has just updated Xp's life cycle policy (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173) stating that Xp sp3 will be retired after next service pack or end of life cycle.

Does this mean they plan another service pack?

Before the same line read will end on 2014.
Similarly they just announced Xp downgrade rights till 2020.

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Wish they would just let XP die.

walkerk
July 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Imagine the amount of Small/Medium size businesses that can't afford to upgrade to Vista/7. I expected this...

walkerk
July 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM

Why? XP was a decent OS for users in an office atmosphere. Let's not be crazy and say that Linux could easily step in...

RiceMonster
July 22nd, 2010, 07:21 PM

I feel the same.

Imagine the amount of Small/Medium size businesses that can't afford to upgrade to Vista/7. I expected this...

Or even large corporations who have it deployed on 10,000+ machines. Think about the cost and difficulty of migrating in that environment as well.

FuturePilot
July 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
wish they would just let xp die.

+1

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Why? XP was a decent OS for users in an office atmosphere. Let's not be crazy and say that Linux could easily step in...

It's over 8 years old. Is NT4 and 2000 still being supported?

Shishimaru
July 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
It's true,but if we can't see newest OSs,then there will not be progress. But yes,it's too expensive to upgrade it.

RiceMonster
July 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM

No. 2000 just went EOL a week or two ago, actually.

walkerk
July 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
I am a part of one of those large enterprises that have deployed 15k+ systems. We almost pulled the trigger with Vista but realized it would be a mistake. While we prepare Win7 and AD 2008, XP is serving a critical role. Obviously extensive lab testing is necessary...

kio_http
July 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
I feel the same.

Or even large corporations who have it deployed on 10,000+ machines. Think about the cost and difficulty of migrating in that environment as well.

Actually Xp is quite a good OS. It released in 2001 and has the capabilities to be updated to fit in today's world unlike Windows 9x. That's why it made a quick dent in marketshare when it released. I still use Xp for some things.

John Bean
July 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM

It's worn rather well then. Compare XP with any of its Linux desktop contemporaries and it becomes very clear why it was (and still is ) so popular; it still holds its own even against recent desktop distributions.

I use XP when I need to, it does the jobs I need it for without fuss or drama, unlike almost all other versions of Windows I've used over the years.

McRat
July 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
One of the big problems is that there is a lot of hardware and software still out there that won't run on Win7. And some of it isn't very old. I just tried a Mobo driver for a 2009 motherboard that won't work with Win7.

Win7 will become the #1 O/S simply through replacement of computers. Although MANY new business systems offer XP-Downgrade rights.

donkyhotay
July 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
One of the big problems is that there is a lot of hardware and software still out there that won't run on Win7. And some of it isn't very old. I just tried a Mobo driver for a 2009 motherboard that won't work with Win7.

Win7 will become the #1 O/S simply through replacement of computers. Although MANY new business systems offer XP-Downgrade rights.

Reverse is also true though as well, some newer stuff is vista/win7 only and I expect XP will eventually slowly die out like 98 did before it.

Paqman
July 22nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Actually Xp is quite a good OS.

I disagree. We have a couple of installs at home, and I use it all day at work. I think it's really, really starting to show its age, and find it quite annoying to use these days. Explorer is a rubbish file manager.

MechaMechanism
July 22nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
When XP is EOL in 2014, that means some people will still be using it all the way to 2020 and possibly beyond, thats going to be so weird to experience XP in 2020. Of course some people will still be using MS-DOS in 2020 too. I wonder if people will still be using XP in say 2050?

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
When XP is EOL in 2014, that means some people will still be using it all the way to 2020 and possibly beyond, thats going to be so weird to experience XP in 2020. Of course some people will still be using MS-DOS in 2020 too. I wonder if people will still be using XP in say 2050?

If we could keep people using it until 2029, that would be like us using a Commodore 64 today. ;)

I'll bet there will be hologram computers controlled with the mind and there will still be people using XP on some old dinosaur computer. :)

Madspyman
July 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/13/technology/windows_xp/index.htm

XP has survived in large part because of Vista, which was an unmitigated disaster," said Daniel Ruby, research director at Chitika Inc. "Corporate IT departments are wary of doing anything until they're sure things are going to work. They're not willing to go from something that works to something that doesn't work as well.

Microsoft killed the future with Vista.

My mom's a teacher, and she said the tech department recently purchased brand new XP computers, when she asked why they didn't get Windows 7 ones they told her it's because they didn't want to waste time learning something new when XP works for them.

They're still even using ie6 in fact when ie8 was realeased an email was sent out to everyone in the district warning them not to upgrade claiming ie8 had security even more issues ](*,)

It's just as much outdated tech guy's as it is Microsoft. Even if support was ended for XP tomorrow they still wouldn't upgrade.

It's funny they bought a few Win 7 computers for some of the administrators, who emailed word files to everyone, but no one could open them on word in XP. I had put Ubuntu on my moms old laptop, she brought that in and opened the file in Open Office. The tech guy's thought she was a genius.

alexan
July 22nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
MS need people switch from XP... and they (MS) are the only one who can fix its problem by given time (new technologies and such)

I see an inexorable downhill to death for XP... it was a good OS after billions over billions of dollars in fixes and the best engineering paid by microsoft's pocket.
Now they (MS) urge to put XP to death: they wouldn't justify the price of Vista/Seven if a (supposed) XP is still around.

The fact that they "declare" extended support mean nothing: Microsoft is the only one who work on the os, and is only for their eyes what fixes they are doing on XP.

chessnerd
July 22nd, 2010, 10:31 PM
I don't see anything there that states concretely that there will be a Service Pack 4.

Such rumors have existed for a while. I don't think Microsoft would be that nice. Any support beyond 2011 (10 years after the initial release of Windows XP) is more than charitable. Heck, any support beyond 5 years is pure charity. Most Linux distros lose support a year after the next version comes out. Even Ubuntu's LTS releases only get 3 years of support. Support for OS X 10.4 and the entire PPC architecture have already been dropped by Apple.

Microsoft is being very nice already, I wouldn't bet on more...

If we could keep people using it until 2029, that would be like us using a Commodore 64 today. ;)

I'll bet there will be hologram computers controlled with the mind and there will still be people using XP on some old dinosaur computer. :)
My father has vowed that he will keep using XP until it loses support (and might use it even after that). He has several times professed a desire to return to Windows 95. He used MS Office 97 until about 8 months ago when I upgraded him to an old copy of Office 2003. All he cares about is that it works.

Many people are the same way. Windows XP works. Plain and simple. Who needs mind control when you have a mouse and keyboard?

lykwydchykyn
July 22nd, 2010, 10:53 PM
We're currently evaluating Window 7 at the office. So far:
- None of our software requires higher than Windows XP
- Some of our mission-critical software doesn't run on Windows 7
- Most of our deployed workstations won't run Windows 7 adequately
- Most of our staff (meaning general staff, not IT) have never used Windows 7 *or* Vista, and will require at minimum a period of adjustment if not retraining.
- Our current workstation management solution (Novell Zenworks) LOSES functionality when we move to win7.

We didn't move to Vista because most of the above was true about it as well. Other than the fact that we don't want to get caught with our pants down in 2014, there's no meaningful reason to upgrade and several reasons not to. Not that it won't happen anyway, but as far as I can see it'll just be a couple years of agony and expense for our whole organization for little or no tangible benefit.

Johnsie
July 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
I like XP and so do alot of other people. That's why so many people still use it. Windows 7/Vista doesn't make a computer any more efficient, and Linux isn't suitable for the average user, so there's no poin t people migrating to those versions.

If people found Windows 7 or Ubuntu to be better than Windows XP then they would make the switch, but that just isn't happening.

If people like XP then they should stick with it, there's no point changing just for the sake of change.

A business wont achieve anything by upgrading Windows, and moving to Linux would cost alot of man hours installing and require alot of retraining. It makes sense to stick with XP

Kai69
July 23rd, 2010, 12:24 AM
I like XP and so do alot of other people. That's why so many people still use it. Windows 7/Vista doesn't make a computer any more efficient, and Linux isn't suitable for the average user, so there's no poin t people migrating to those versions.

If people found Windows 7 or Ubuntu to be better than Windows XP then they would make the switch, but that just isn't happening.

If people like XP then they should stick with it, there's no point changing just for the sake of change.

A business wont achieve anything by upgrading Windows, and moving to Linux would cost alot of man hours installing and require alot of retraining. It makes sense to stick with XP

+1
The no1 reason people haven't switched world ressesion simple :)

Timmer1240
July 23rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
XP was a real godsend over windows 98 and Me I used it for years still do but rarely It would be alright with me if they had another service pack!

alexfish
July 23rd, 2010, 01:24 AM

Don't worry , well at least those of Stable minds Don't , IT's Their Last Gasp < Fortunately < Carbon Monoxide -al

Merk42
July 23rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Can a mod either lock this thread or at least change the title?

There are no plans for an SP4, that text linked has been there for years! Relevant to XP, there is the part of the text "... or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first".

The reason it mentions "next service pack" is because it's the same policy for ALL versions of Windows.