PDA

View Full Version : is the bookdepository scamming their customers?

supermooshman
July 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
hey all,

for those whom have no idea what the bookdepository is, it is an online bookshop (like amazon), maybe their selection is a bit smaller, but they got free shipping, and the prices are very reasonable (mostly cheaper than I can find them in physical shops)

Anywho, since it is their 6 year anniversary, they are giving away a 10% discount.
So as a happy child I bought a book which was priced 13,90 euro (without discount).

Half an hour later, my girlfriend wants to recheck the book and the book now costs 14,06 euro.
And now the kicker: 14,06 -10% = 13,9194 euro

my guess is that they won't lower their price after the discount action, so can this be read as them raising their prices but trying to keep the "good guy" appearance?

and just fyi: I have no problem with the bookdepository, I buy most books through their site

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Most stores do that when they have sales.

Bachstelze
July 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
for those whom have no idea

rawr

NovaWasp
July 22nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Despite the .com domain, the Book Depository is a UK site and their prices are in GBP. I doubt the price changed so much as the exchange rate of GBP to Euros. I read a few sci fi authors whose stuff comes out in the UK before the US. Their books will appear to fluctuate in price if I check them from day to day, but it's GBP to USD. It wasn't noticable until they changed the display to local currency. My only complaint with Book Depository is shipping multiple books in the same order in separate packages.

KiwiNZ
July 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
In New Zealand that is illegal and there has been several prosecutions for that practice.

brefly
January 15th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I dont think that is true, as at all times you can get a 10% discount code on their facebook page, so even on the day at the lower price it was still possible for someone to purchase a book using a 10% off code

http://www.facebook.com/bookdepository