PDA

View Full Version : How do you know so much about Ubuntu?

corrytonapple
July 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
I see so many posts getting solved every day by you guys.:) How did you learn so much about Ubuntu? The terminal must have thousands of codes that are usable. Do you have a file with all these codes? Just interested in how you guys/girls know so much.
Thanks

RiceMonster
July 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
By rubbing your feet together and saying "give me Linux knowledge!"

Nick_Jinn
July 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
All knowledge is already within us. The feet is where the soul connects with the earth, so if you rub your feet together and then rest them on top of the power source of your PC, the knowledge should come streaming into you.

Honestly, I dont know that much. I am just barely starting to feel like less of a noob and I can help people with the basics of installation.

endotherm
July 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
just experience with it and systems like it. there are folks here with decades of unix experience under their belts, or who have been working with linux since '91.

it also depends on your general level of experience in IT/IS. if you've worked as an admin or developer on any platform for any real period of time, you learn how to learn about technology. learning the first language takes months or years, whereas learning your 5th language takes days or weeks. once you have the basics down, it's just delta delta delta

Åtta
July 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
It just comes over time from using it. You try to do something → Figure out how to do it → Remember that when someone asks how to do that thing. Rinse and repeat.

cariboo
July 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
I counter with, how did you learn so much about Windows?

chiliman
July 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
I counter with, how did you learn so much about Windows?thats exactly what i tell myself!

I cant even begin to list links to the mounds of information there are out there. I say read all the sticky threads, ubuntu documetation, and somewhere in the forums is a thread liking to a website that has links to 20 free books for linux. And you just have to apply the knowledge you find everyday. I still have too much to learn myself.

Honestly i need to check out my local community college and see if they are offering any classes on linux.

Do you have a file with all these codes? Just interested in how you guys/girls know so much. start with opening terminal and typing man man

_h_
July 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM

Video Professor? XD

corrytonapple
July 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
I don't know much about windows. Been a mac person for a while. (3 years now)In fact, that's what gave me my username.
corryton (my location)apple(meaning mac)
Right now I'm trying to help newbies that have threads with no posts.

donkyhotay
July 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Reading the forums, experimenting with the system, following how-to guides on other websites. Nothing more then what I've done with any other OS I've ever used.

renkinjutsu
July 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
The general flexibility of linux distros contributed to my knowledge of the OS. Because so many things can be changed or tweaked (the first thing i do after installing an OS is to customize it), i had to learn a lot about the system. Also, so many things in the OS are scriptable, lots of programs installed from the synaptics can be used in your shell scripts too. It'd be crazy to not write scripts when they're just so darn handy!

Also, i've recently become very OCD about "Bloat", so i've migrated to more minimal systems, which enhances your knowledge even more!

"Learn by doing." .. That's how

Penguin Guy
July 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
I got started using commands by reading http://linuxcommand.org, after that I just picked up bits of knowledge from reading others' code. As for general Ubuntu knowledge, the same really - just learning from others.

TBABill
July 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
I come to the forums daily. Even when running a different distro I come here daily to make sure I answer questions about problems I had that all the great minds and personalities here cared enough about to take time to answer. I remember my issues and the solutions to them, read all the other problems and solutions, and try to help others who are at an earlier part of the learning curve where I can. I'm sure not on the level of most here so I stay out of most discussions, but when I can help I feel I should. It's a free OS but people do not maintain enthusiasm about it without the assistance of others to learn and fix their issues.

I also Google a lot. And I have learned a ton from installing and trying many different distros. My favorites are still Mint, Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS though.

anon.jdh
July 22nd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Another idea is to completely immerse yourself in a Linux environment with 1 rule: No Going Back to Windows For Anything
You'll learn quick. Just keep files that actually matter to you on a separate drive (external if possible at first).

You'll come right up to speed. :D

Helpful links:
http://ss64.com/bash/
http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html

This and many more at: This Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9614557#post9614557)

Nick_Jinn
July 23rd, 2010, 12:18 AM

Take a Windows user who has been using windows for a decade and compare that person to a Linux user who has been using it for a decade, chances are the Linux user will be very knowledgeable about Linux while the windows user is still paying professionals to fix their computer twice a year.

lisati
July 23rd, 2010, 12:23 AM
What little I know, or, more commonly, what I think I know, comes from a combination of using different systems over the years, reading the forums, looking things up through a search engine, and occasionally trying something new. I've even been known to read a book or magazine on on occasion.

blur xc
July 23rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
It's hard to say how much I know when I don't know how much there is that you could actually know, but in my estimation I only know like 1% of what there is to know about Linux and/or Ubuntu. But what I do know, I learned from countless hours over the past year of reading Linux pdf e-books, websites, and forum posts. I've got a lifetime (close to 20yrs) w/ MS and I'm trying to make up for lost time. :D

At first it may seem really overwhelming, but when you see a command posted in a forum to do a thing, read up on the man pages for that command (man <command>) and try to see for yourself what it does and how it works.

That being said, seeing how 90% of my computer education was back from the days before networking, no matter how I try to learn its ins and outs, understanding still evades me...no matter how hard I try. It's harder to teach old dogs new tricks.

BM

Goolie
July 23rd, 2010, 12:35 AM

Touche!

I've only been using Ubuntu for a few weeks. And I know about the linux shell more than I ever learned about the dos environment in windows. I can remove a folder of files by sorting out only a certain extension, and and, change permissions on the fly.

Oh, but I learned so much about Windows as I used it daily and googled problems, etc. etc.,

It's a matter of use. You learn as you go everyday.

=D

wojox
July 23rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
I've been using Linux now a little over one year. What's helped me out is reading. You have to read a lot to learn. Knowledge is Power.

Don't just read Ubuntu documents. Go to the Debian site and read all their documents as well.

It helps me to read from all different sources on Linux. It helps fill in all the nooks and crannies.

chessnerd
July 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Most of the stuff I learned was from screwing up and fixing it. Also, I learn by helping others. And I learn by just using the system on a day-to-day basis.

Ubuntu: Use it, learn it, teach it, live it!

Paqman
July 23rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
The terminal must have thousands of codes that are usable.

TBH, of all of them the only ones I use regularly are cd, ls, chown, chmod, man, apt-get, and shred. Unless you particularly want to spend all day in the terminal you'll probably find you'll develop a handful of tasks that you use it for.

Telengard C64
July 23rd, 2010, 01:04 AM
I am far from being an expert. I do spend a lot of time reading man pages, info documentation, and various things I find by web searches. I experiment a lot with things to learn how to make them work or break them.

The best place to start learning is the documentation bundled with Ubuntu itself. You can find a ton of installable documentation in the repos if you just search for package names ending in "doc".

Beyond that there is help.ubuntu.com/community and all the HOWTO articles in ubuntuforums.org.

If that's not enough for you, try digging into Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition (http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz) (also installable from the Ubuntu repos), or one of the many other free Linux books on the Internet.

Finally, don't be afraid to read articles about other distros. Gnu/Linux is pretty much the same no matter the distro name, although each one does things a little different. Just because RedHat uses RPMs doesn't mean I can't learn by reading their documentation. Same goes for Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, or even Linux From Scratch.

wojox
July 23rd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Most of the stuff I learned was from screwing up and fixing it.

Oh yeah and this to. If you aren't breaking it you aren't using it. :D

Timmer1240
July 23rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
I know way more about windows than linux.I figured I wanted to try something new so I Installed Ubuntu now 6 months later Im loving it!I really dont know much about it yet just the basics customizing things like that.This forum has been a great support system I come here and read and read and learn new things Im not too big on the terminal yet just copy and paste commands into that if I need to use it but Linux is a good operating system very stable secure and fast thats why I like it!

libssd
July 23rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
#1 Amen. I have learned far more from my (many) mistakes than from reading documentation. Nothing wrong with documentation, and RTFM is excellent advice, but nothing sticks in your brain like figuring out how to get out of a hole that you have dug yourself. Or, playful experimentation: "I wonder what will happen if I try this...."

#2: Ask questions here, and use Google. There is even a dedicated "Googl ubuntu" search site: http://www.googlubuntu.com/

#3: I cannot emphasize this too much: If you have a restorable system image, you can experiment with a relatively low level of anxiety. If you fatally screw something up, it should take no more than 15 minutes to restore a desktop system. If you start seriously tweaking, keep notes of the changes you have made (saved on a removable storage medium, of course). It's amazing how "little" changes add up over time.

Goolie
July 23rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
#1 Amen. I have learned far more from my (many) mistakes than from reading documentation. Nothing wrong with documentation, and RTFM is excellent advice, but nothing sticks in your brain like figuring out how to get out of a hole that you have dug yourself. Or, playful experimentation: "I wonder what will happen if I try this...."

#2: Ask questions here, and use Google. There is even a dedicated "Googl ubuntu" search site: http://www.googlubuntu.com/

#3: I cannot emphasize this too much: If you have a restorable system image, you can experiment with a relatively low level of anxiety. If you fatally screw something up, it should take no more than 15 minutes to restore a desktop system. If you start seriously tweaking, keep notes of the changes you have made (saved on a removable storage medium, of course). It's amazing how "little" changes add up over time.

I love that link!

<3!

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 23rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
My experience is not specific to Ubuntu. It applies to Linux distros in general.

I really don't know that much. I do know how to identify a problem.

I know how to use a search engine; such as Google, to find relevant solutions. That is an art in itself. Looking at the results to determine what is the correct solution comes with experience. There is misinformation, malicious commands, malicious scripts, and so forth on the Internet. You need to understand what the commands, scripts, etc. are doing; therefore, more "Googling".

I have several computers with various hardware configurations. I have laptops and desktops from vendors like Dell, Lenovo, Compac, and HP. After I find something that works for the hardware configuration of my machines, I save it in a file. That is helpful for me when I work with my own computers. I can cut and paste the command into the terminal. I can also use the file to help others with the same or similar problem.

Sadly, I don't have the time to be very active in the help forums. Usually, by the time I see a post, the answer has already been provided or the damage has already been done.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 23rd, 2010, 02:47 AM
Double post.

Timmer1240
July 23rd, 2010, 03:36 AM
With use comes knowledge!

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 23rd, 2010, 03:40 AM
Tripple post.

Screwdriver0815
July 23rd, 2010, 04:06 AM
I don't have any clue. When I need to do something, I either try if it works without configuration or I just search on the german ubuntuusers site, which is an awesome pool of knowledge.

For example:

I bought a bluetooth dongle, just plugged it in, worked

I bought a printer (one which I know that it works) and searched... and found out how to set it up to be a network printer and scanner. Result: some commands into terminal... done. It's freaking awesome!

My friend with his "beloved Windows 7" is still struggeling to get the scanner to work...

lisati
July 23rd, 2010, 04:15 AM
The terminal must have thousands of codes that are usable. Do you have a file with all these codes?
Perhaps I'm getting old, but when I see the word "code" used in connection with "terminal", I sometimes think of special "escape sequences" sent to the screen to change its settings. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_sequence and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code)

Other times I think of "coding" (as in programming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming))

When it comes to using the "terminal" in Ubuntu, I think about the "commands" I'm going to issues.

chessnerd
July 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM

I once said this about Linux:

If it ain't broke, you obviously haven't tried fixing it enough... ;)

You break it, you bought it, but hey, Linux is free!

redfox1160
July 23rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
If you look at my posts, you can tell that I barely know anything about Ubuntu/Linux. I am just now beginning to learn more technical stuff about Ubuntu/Linux. I do not have a lot of free time, but reading posts on this forum have helped me learn a lot. Also, I have just started to experiment with Ubuntu Server and I am learning a lot about the terminal through it. If you don't mind spending money (about $20), Linux Phrasebook (http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Phrasebook-Scott-Granneman/dp/0672328380) seems to help when using the terminal.

v1ad
July 23rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
i=0
if i -lt 5
do_something
screw up
i=i+1
fi
success

# my way of learning.

chessnerd
July 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
i=0
if i -lt 5
do_something
screw up
i=i+1
fi
success

# my way of learning.

It only takes you 5 tries?

Here is mine (in Java):

package my.life;

import com.google.*;
import org.ubuntuforums.*;
import my.life.Problem;

public class ProblemSolver {
- public static void main(String[] args) {
- - int counter = 0;
- - Problem problem = Problem.getProblem();
- - while(!Problem.problemSolved) {
- - - Google.search(problem);
- - - counter++;
- - - if (counter == 5) {
- - - - UbuntuForums.post(problem);
- - - } else if (counter >= 10) {
- - - - giveUp();
- - - }
- - }
- }

- public void giveUp() {
- - System.exit(0);
- }
}

nothingspecial
July 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
How do I know so much about ubuntu?

Simple.

The stupid thing didn`t work when I first got it, so I had to fix it.

ubunterooster
July 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
I have nothing else to do in life except watch procreating ducks (which gets boring eventually) so I spend every minute studying Linux.

The Real Dave
July 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Experiment, Experiment, Experiment.

And when you inevitably break it, fix it.

Thats how I learn at least :)

heimo
July 23rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
How did you learn so much about Ubuntu?

Curiosity is a great teacher. :-)

xpod
July 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
I wouldn`t say i know "so much" about Ubuntu/Linux in the bigger scheme of things but that which i do know i only know at all because of my children, initially anyway. I mean if it hadn`t been for the sheer dread this Neanderthal had at the mere prospect of his precious girls being let loose on the big bad web(as i perceived it at the time) then i might never have sat down at a computer full stop and if i hadn`t sat down at one when i did....especially the one in question....then i might never have had the fun & games i did have with Windows for that initial 4 months and if i`d never had those fun & games at that time, on that computer, then i might never have had cause to be Stumbling "computer operating systems"

On top of that if it wasn`t for all the users who do genuinely know "so much" laying out their own findings in all those great guides, wiki`s, forum posts, howtos & how longs* then i wouldn`t even know half of the little i do know.

* you know who you are. ;)

RiceMonster
July 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
It only takes you 5 tries?

Here is mine (in Java):

package my.life;

import com.google.*;
import org.ubuntuforums.*;
import my.life.Problem;

public class ProblemSolver {
- public static void main(String[] args) {
- - int counter = 0;
- - Problem problem = Problem.getProblem();
- - while(!Problem.problemSolved) {
- - - Google.search(problem);
- - - counter++;
- - - if (counter == 5) {
- - - - UbuntuForums.post(problem);
- - - } else if (counter >= 10) {
- - - - giveUp();
- - - }
- - }
- }

- public void giveUp() {
- - System.exit(0);
- }
}

Just because I feel like it:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

open ATTEMPTS, "<attempts.txt" or die $!;

while (<ATTEMPTS>) {
last if $_ eq "success!";
rage();
}

print qq/Finally!\n/;

sub rage() {
print qq/ARRRRRRGGGGH!\n/;
}

corrytonapple
July 23rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Very useful information guys. Will be trying to look through all these links. This is the best tech support community ever. Can't really experiment with this computer since its my primary. Now I regret selling that old HP.........
Anyway, I am going in to the threads in Absolute Beginner Fourms and trying to help those who have no posts in their thread. That bumps them up and seems to get that thread attention. But why do people make threads and not come back to report and say a solution worked?

iponeverything
July 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
I just follow the RiceMonster around and pick up the crumbs..

xpod
July 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Very useful information guys. Will be trying to look through all these links. This is the best tech support community ever. Can't really experiment with this computer since its my primary. Now I regret selling that old HP.........
Anyway, I am going in to the threads in Absolute Beginner Fourms and trying to help those who have no posts in their thread. That bumps them up and seems to get that thread attention. But why do people make threads and not come back to report and say a solution worked?

You may already be aware but virtual machines are great for experimenting with other OS`s in a one machine situation like yours, or indeed many other situations.
One computer though should not prevent you from experimenting if thats what you really want to do although it`s probably advisable to spend some time getting to know the basics of your real machine/os before trying out the virtual machines/os`s. ;)
Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) is probably one of the more popular vm options around here but like everything in the land of Tux there are always others to choose from.

j7%<RmUg
July 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
I have 4 rules:

1: Always listen to RiceMonster
2: Google is your friend
3: Learn through use
4: Read documentation!

Simple to follow, easy to understand.

It truly shocks me how many people around here dont follow the 2nd rule. Its probably the most important one to know.

I learnt about Ubuntu using those 4 rules, thats it.

RiceMonster
July 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
1: Always listen to RiceMonster

Hmmm, I don't know. That might yield some interesting results. Unless of course you type the command in my signature. That's allways a good idea.

ubunterooster
July 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, I don't know. That might yield some interesting results. Unless of course you type the command in my signature. That's allways a good idea.
I can read enough commands to know out of the box not to do that prank

j7%<RmUg
July 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM

Exactly, it IS a good idea, because that way there is always something interesting going on in my life!

omns
August 19th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Years of pain and suffering ;)

pricetech
August 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM
A steady diet of raw penguin meat.

Seriously, I read books, search the web, use it, break it, fix it, install it over and over, pick the brains of those who know more than I, etc.

I would recommend a book called Linux Command Instant Reference. I don't have it handy, so I can't tell you who wrote or published it, but if you'll search for it you should be able to find it. Mine is several years old, but still handy when I can't remember what command I need to do a certain thing.

Frogs Hair
August 20th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I just ware a pyramid on top of my head while logged into the forums. ;)

Zorgoth
August 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I'm surprised by the number of people who talk about how much they still have to learn. I know everything there is to know about Linux. There is nothing left for me to learn.

MCVenom
August 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'm surprised by the number of people who talk about how much they still have to learn. I know everything there is to know about Linux. There is nothing left for me to learn.
Congrats, oh great neckbeard. :P

samalex
August 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Speak for yourself :) I've been using Linux for well over a decade, and like everything in the Tech industry the rules and players are changing constantly. I took a few year break from Linux on the desktop when I switched my desktop/laptop to OSX in 2005, and coming back last year I had to re-learn so much! For example in 2005 XFree86 was the standard, but coming back in 2009 I found most distros had changed to X.Org. Granted they are very similar, but I knew XFree86 inside out, but X.Org has many differences.

The only constant in the universe is change...

Sam

corrytonapple
August 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
Sure:lolflag:
Pricetech, will be looking to be getting that book. Thanks

Windows Nerd
August 21st, 2010, 01:32 AM
I learnt so much about the Linux command line in just a year by:

-Not being afraid of using the shell.
-Forcing myself to use it.
-The more you use it the better you are with it. (I was told this myself by one of my friends who has been using Linux for 10 years)
-Be a bit geeky :) (Not absolutely required, but helps).

Scott

MooPi
August 21st, 2010, 01:39 AM
I flew my space cruiser quadrillion parsecs to Fungally Prime. There I was a student of Linux jedi Yogurtie.

Actually I read many man pages and help files, scoured the forum for info and have a few friends that bounce ideas off each other. Time and persistence = knowledge.

Austin25
August 21st, 2010, 03:01 AM
I read man pages.

drawkcab
August 21st, 2010, 05:33 AM
I've been using Ubuntu since the initial release years ago. I'm no expert but I guess I've accumulated just enough knowledge to get Ubuntu and other Debian derivatives to work out for me on several machines.

To be honest, the thing that keeps me coming back to Ubuntu and Debian is that you don't have to know all that much to make it work for you. I don't mean to say that Ubuntu does everything for you automatically, but that, if you ever need to get under the hood, it is easy to find helpful information. In other words, you don't have to be an expert in the general sense before you can use the OS, you just have to know how/where/what to search for in order to resolve your problem.

Khakilang
August 21st, 2010, 09:01 AM
There is nothing much to know actually. In the beginning I bought a book with 8.10 CD just in case I come across something I don't know. Once I install it everything I need is there and everything works. I still haven't finish reading it and now I have already upgraded to 10.04. Sometime I even wonder why other people have so much problem that need to be solve. I use it from an old computer to my somewhat newer computer and it works fine. I may have screw up a little but coming back to the forum help me solve it. No major issue.

Ollytheninja
August 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
as you can see <-- i haven't helped out much and yes i feel bad, i am just getting to the stage where i can help people with the simple things instead of them helping me all the time, but everything i learned i learned from the internet or this forum.

Frogs Hair
August 21st, 2010, 05:01 PM
Congrats, oh great neckbeard. :P

All Hail Neckbeard ! LOL

dagdeniz
August 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-knowledge
man ubuntu-knowledge

msandoy
August 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM
My wife tells me I'm a geek, so that might explain alot. But a genuine interrest in how things work, makes picking up any book on the subject alot easier. Just find a pariticular subject and dive in. And offcourse messing around with Virtualbox is a good idea.
When you run out of problems on your own computer, just talk to people around you, and the problems will come to you for you to dig up sollutions via Google and Ubuntu forums. The best way of learning is trial and error.

98cwitr
August 21st, 2010, 05:54 PM
because I use it every day, because of other people's knowledge and these forums :)

PhilGil
August 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM
I've been using Linux for a year, and I still can't really troubleshoot most problems on my own. However, 99 times out of 100 someone else has already had the same problem and the solution can be found with some Googling. I've also learned a lot hanging around here and at the Debian User Forums (http://forums.debian.net/).

I also keep notes of anything that isn't intuitive (to me): terminal commands, program settings, tips and tricks, troubleshooting and work-arounds, etc. If I have to Google for an answer I'll make a note of the solution.

scouser73
August 21st, 2010, 11:51 PM
By joining the forum and learning and screwing things up on my own and reading the replies when I have asked for help.

standingwave
August 22nd, 2010, 01:11 AM
http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/srpr/logo1w.png

Seriously. It's rare that I come across a problem that hasn't been experienced (and solved) by someone else.

Fableflame
August 22nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
From this point, I'm almost positive that it's impossible for anyone to give a reason that someone else hasn't given already, lol.

Usabent
August 22nd, 2010, 05:23 AM
I learned windwos when i was 3 :P

mamamia88
August 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
I wouldn't say i know alot about ubuntu but what i do know is because I spend way too much time on these forums

corrytonapple
August 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't say i know alot about ubuntu but what i do know is because I spend way too much time on these forums
So do, I. Just since this thread was started I have learned a lot. I always go around looking for people with zero or one post in their thread.

I learned windwos when i was 3 :P
Probably since I was five.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/srpr/logo1w.png

Seriously. It's rare that I come across a problem that hasn't been experienced (and solved) by someone else.
Yeah, there are a lot of threads where people could have searched to get an answer. The only reason I see reposting a common question is people want what they feel is a "Custom" answer. Guess they think that it will be differently suited to their needs.

From this point, I'm almost positive that it's impossible for anyone to give a reason that someone else hasn't given already, lol.
Probably. Its an open question though.;)

arnab_das
August 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
one of my friends bought windows 7 basic only to find out that it doesnt allow customisation in terms of network settings.

the reason why i love ubuntu is because its free. and its secure. and its customisable. and its stable (the 10.04 as of now really is very stable, havent restarted my PC in more than a week now) and its open source...i could go on and on and on.

the fact is ubuntu has a tremendous amount of support system thanks to this forum. i have learnt most of what i know about ubuntu from here. and of course there's psychocats.

sikander3786
August 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
2 Years of Ubuntu Experience is better than 12 Years of Experience of Windows (for me). I didn't seem to learn anything via Windows and do you believe I didn't even knew that Open Source Programs exist until I swithced to Ubuntu.

Chame_Wizard
August 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Being a FOSS user for 5 years and 7,75 months helps(3 years and 7 months as *Buntu Linux user).:lolflag:

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
I see so many posts getting solved every day by you guys.:) How did you learn so much about Ubuntu? The terminal must have thousands of codes that are usable. Do you have a file with all these codes? Just interested in how you guys/girls know so much.
Thanks

Collective knowledge, I know what I need to know, each person here has their own personal collection of knowledge that they have attained to take care of their day to day needs. Individually maybe each person knows very little, collectively theres practically an answer for everything.

Fableflame
August 24th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Collective knowledge, I know what I need to know, each person here has their own personal collection of knowledge that they have attained to take care of their day to day needs. Individually maybe each person knows very little, collectively theres practically an answer for everything.

This is what I love the most about Ubuntu: The community.
You are just about 100% guaranteed to find a solution to any problem because there are so many people willing to help.